Any thoughts on wreck looting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hanna2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I read about stuff being lifted from WWI and WWII submarines and other wrecks in European waters without permission. I was just wondering what other people think about it? Should the things stay on the sunken ships and submarines?

I am pleased to say that attitudes have changed in the last 30 years.

Divers are much more interested in leaving stuff and giving others the opportunity to see it and understand the wreck.
The main exception would be the bell. Few divers would ignore a bell.
This is ok as long as it is reported to the receiver of wrecks (in the UK). It also is the best way to confirm the wreck.
It is worth noteing that different countries have difference laws. In France you risk not only your kit being impounded, but the boat as well.

IN THE UK

The big exception are military wrecks, which are look and don't touch. War graves are protected. Some sites have exclusion zones and no diving.

The Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 classify military wreck in two ways.
1.Controlled - no access without a licence provided by the MOD
2. Protected - look but don't touch or enter.

Historic Wreck are also protected.
Again, the level of protection is specific to the site. Some have a complete exclusion zone, some you can dive under licence, some diving is allowed on a look but don't touch basis.
There are a number of pieces of legislation that cover this.
The BSAC has more information at the link below.
BSAC Link
Just in case the link doesn't work
Protected wrecks

The big issue I do have is the two faced nature of governments. It has been know for a government to restrict access to a military site, then promptly sell the salvage rights. Or have a site salvaged (desecrated?), then get all holier than thou, when they find divers diving the site and promptly ban them.
I don't think there are many who object to respecting military wrecks.
It should be remember that the vast majority of wrecks are found and identified by amateur divers. Not by governments, or marine archeologists.

It should also be noted that ANYTHING recovered from the sea in UK waters is covered by Salvage Law.
Jetsam
Flotsam
Lagan
Derelict
Basically anything recovered belongs to someone. It must be reported to the Receiver of Wrecks, otherwise a criminal offence has been committed.
See here
Just in case the link doesn't work
Wreck and salvage law

If you are interested in Historic Wrecks then the Nautical Archeology Society are worth a look.

Gareth

Contracted salvage aside.....if it's a grave site, BAD mojo in my book.....But I guess the loophole is if it's a treasure recovery, of historical value.

have to agreee with @Gareth J -Governments have no take policy but if theres a gold stash than they want it but also goes to any dive op - do you really think a dive op with a no take policy would leave a bag of jewellery behind if it was a discovered- i doubt it
we have a self imposed self restraint on our local wreck - one item as a momento, dont be greedy, let others enjoy the pleasure of discovering it. Truth is that eventually all will be lost to the silt. most of the stuff in the wrecks has no intrinsic value - only to the archaeologist or the new diver who 'discovers' it
I still have a tea cup that i discovered in a hard to get to place and every time i look at it I relive the dive.

There have been many contentious threads on this in the past. The argument for taking stuff is that it is just going to rust away if you leave it, so you might as well take it yourself. My opinion is that I was privileged to be able to see it on an enjoyable dive, and it would be unethical and selfish of me to deprive others of that same opportunity. The fact that it will eventually rust away does not bestow upon me a right of ownership.

WW wrecks have already been extensively salvaged, Sorima, Risdon Beasley and numerous others tore them asunder with huge grabs. They weren’t worried how many were lost. To condemn a diver for taking something is ridiculous

There have been many contentious threads on this in the past. The argument for taking stuff is that it is just going to rust away if you leave it, so you might as well take it yourself. My opinion is that I was privileged to be able to see it on an enjoyable dive, and it would be unethical and selfish of me to deprive others of that same opportunity. The fact that it will eventually rust away does not bestow upon me a right of ownership.
Im with you in principle but you honestly want me to believe that if you swam past an intricate gold plated artefact or high $$ value item youd leave it there?

Back
Top Bottom