Any tips for making a wetsuit easier to put on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I usually just struggle, but have heard of using plastic bags, pantyhose, dawn detergent, and baby shampoo.

Do any of these work well enough to use?

How specifically do you use Dawn? Spread it on your arms and legs? Seems disgusting and polluting to me.

Thanks!

I figure that mine will be easier to get on if I lose a little weight! :rofl3:

I've never used anything like soap or grease etc.

I usually just struggle, but have heard of using plastic bags, pantyhose, dawn detergent, and baby shampoo.

Do any of these work well enough to use?

How specifically do you use Dawn? Spread it on your arms and legs? Seems disgusting and polluting to me.

Thanks!

If you need chemical help, it's too tight.

Buying a wetsuit that fits is the best way.

Definitely don't use detergent. The last thing we need is more polluted water.

Terry

Hello all,

I have seen a person use a plastic band over his hands and forearm to slide the arms in, looked pretty easy from here.

Another thing my buddy (that's my Wife) and I do is give each other 'Blow Jobs' :D. Once you your arm in the sleeve, get your buddy to lift the edge by the wrist and blow into there (liking blowing up a balloon) it makes and air pocket between the wrist and the upper arm and allows you to adjust the arm nicely.

I think this is gonna be a good thread, riger/ looks around for a comfy seat and the Popcorn :popcorn:

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

Using lycra full skin suit (which is essentially just a full body bathing suit) under the wetsuit can help because the lycra has less friction than your skin typically when pulling neoprene over it.

I like to put one leg in at a time. Then I switch to my arms. One at a time. Then I zip it up. My wife is my dive buddy. I will encourage her to practice the "blow job" method. creative, very creative.

No, really wet suits have never been an issue. Dry suits on the other hand. Now we are talking

Bus

PLASTIC BAG!!!! Trust me... if we surfers do it when we're in a rush to get into the water it'll work for a diver too!!!

1) get a bag from one of your grocery stores

2) get out your wetsuit

3) put the plastic bag over your foot

4) slide that foot through one leg

5) push baggied foot through opening till neoprene is properly around ankle

6) lift the one side of the neoprene away from the baggied foot

7) remove bag and repeat #3-6 w/ opposite foot

8) bag may tear after a couple of uses but hey you got in easier!!!

Another technique is to use slightly diluted hair conditioner (SCUBA snot) and either rub it on your skin or put the solution into a plastic spray bottle and spray it on your arms and legs prior to putting on your suit.

Turn the suit inside out and roll it on like a condom.

I typically where a 0.5mm full suit under my regular wetsuit. that takes care of it for me....slides right on with no trouble and adds a layer of protection/warmth to boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom