Any updates on the condition of the corals in the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VinnieG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a liveaboard in Maldives early next year, but I am hesitating because of the coral bleaching. Has anyone been there lately and can give an update on how it looks?
Thanks!

I was there two weeks ago on the Manthiri (just posted my trip report) and essentailly saw no bleaching. There were isolated corals here or there, but not on every site or anything like that. Nothing widespread that we saw.

- Ken

We were there in May 2015 and again in May 2016. The liveaboard routes were slightly different , but while there is bleaching, the corals we saw in 2016 were probably better than in 2016. The main draw in the Maldives is the very very prolific fish life , which was not affected at all. It's wonderful for many sharks , loads of mantas and in the correct area , whalesharks. We are going back on 2017.

Back
Top Bottom