Any vintage dive mask collectors out there? Especially from Japan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Lev

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for any info on the Ama dive mask. I have checked the internet,books,mags ect. Not much info as far as when they started using the masks. I would guess 1930's.Before that just the goggles. Also who made them. I have one with the letters YD in a sideways diamond. It doesn't show up under Japanese trademarks. Thanks Mike.

Mike,

First, I do collect masks. I now have about 20. Concerning the Ama masks, I believe they were home-made, carved out of wood. Take a look at this video from You Tube.
[video=youtube;4Un20xvEhUQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Un20xvEhUQ[/video]

This video shot in about 1963 shows the masks better:
[video=youtube;fDNsHA-HUqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDNsHA-HUqc[/video]

John

Hello John they might have used carved wood masks. But I know they had the tan/red one's with the four straps going to four brass hooks on the brass frame. I have seen them many times in books,postcards and some sites. They are rare masks to come by. I have seen one other on ebay many years ago. It sold for big bucks. I also have very early dive goggles also.

I've just read some interesting information, and apparently the first goggles were made of bamboo. I've also found out that whatever the masks were made of, they were hard, as their volume did not change. What I found was a book titled "Physiology of Breath-hold Diving and the Ama of Japan: Papers," from a symposium held August 31-September 1, 1965 in Washington D.C. It is published under the National Academy of Sciences Library, National Research Council, January 24, 1966. We have access to the entire book at the above link.

In this publication is a paper by Gito Teruoka, titled "Die Ama und Ihre Arbeit," or The Ama and Your Work (probably "their work") and yes, it is in German. There is some discussion of the various types of eye wear used by the Ama, including the mask. The construction of the goggles is covered in detail in this paper, but in German.

From what I can tell, the old masks would have been promptly discarded as uncomfortable as soon as better ones became available. In the 1960s, Japan became a major manufacturer of diving equipment, so the old style masks probably disappeared very quickly.

John

Hello John I had that book. I got rid of it way back .It had no pictures of anything in it,and was very technical and boring. Yes I have some bamboo or wood ones. I have heard tortoise shells,bakelite and aluminum also.Check out the Complete Goggler book for some nice pics. I will post some pics of early goggles.

Attachments

• ama mask 2009.jpg
    ama mask 2009.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 197
I don’t remember where I saw it but I recently saw a photo of an oval mask made of brass rather than molded rubber. I “think” it was an old mask used by Ama or Haenyo divers. That would be a real find for a collection.

Hello Akimbo the mask I believe your talking about is on ebay now. I saw it a few weeks ago. I don't believe it is an Ama mask. It also looks to new.

Back
Top Bottom