Anybody dived Korea since the 2015 laws came into effect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived Daejin Scuba Resort this weekend. There's a scuba park with three sunken fishing trawlers that you can wreck dive down to 28m. There is also an area with coral beds around 18m.
I'm located nearby in Hokkaido was wondering about this! How cold was the diving? If I find myself in Busan, is it worth checking out?

I'm located nearby in Hokkaido was wondering about this! How cold was the diving? If I find myself in Busan, is it worth checking out?

On November 16, 2019 the water temps at the bottom were 16C. The dive shop I went with (located in Busan) pitched this as the “last wetsuit dive of the year.” They drove about 3 hours to get there. I met them on site. Surface was cloudy and up to 18C. Visibility was about 10m. I was doing my Wreck Dive specialty course, so a 20m finishing trawler at 27m depth was perfect. That being said, it’s not a world class wreck—it’s a fishing trawler. I had fun though. The challenge is the dive shop told me the guy that runs the location (rents tanks, provides boat service and change areas with showers) only takes 5+ out on the boat. If there were already teams there, you might be able to join in, but just showing up solo would be risky as he might not go out with only 1 to 4 divers. The fun divers from our group checked out the coral bed and enjoyed it. Websites I found here and here with some photos.

Hey Divo!
Glad to find you on here! I was thinking of requesting a Korea specific page in the Regions section of the Scubaboard Community. Hope we can post anything we find on there, assuming we can get it started.

Another vote for a Korea-specific sub-forum!

As a retirement project I am researching diving equipment companies around the world still engaged in the business of making traditional fins, masks and snorkels. A recent eBay acquisition was a Korean-made diving mask that came in an old-fashioned cardboard box displaying the manufacturer's products on one side:
img310.jpg
I've conducted several exhaustive online searches resulting in many sightings of the Daihan diving masks pictured centre in the second and third rows above. These masks are currently on sale on a number of Korean online marketing sites.

The other products illustrated have proved highly elusive, however, in particular the fins top left and centre. I've noticed nevertheless from various websites that they are used by Haenyeo divers on Jeju Island, e.g.
Bluefins5.png

Haenyeo_lowres_shutterstock_1099157915-960x640.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the Korean company manufacturing this basic gear? Here is the firm's logo:
img662.jpg

I am puzzled by the dearth of information online about the company and its products. If it's any help, the mask is embossed with the English words:

DAI HAN SKIN DIVING MASK
MADE IN KOREA
MARINE SPORTS GORAE OVER THE SEA.

The top of the mask box is overprinted with the words "DAIHAN DIVING MASK" in English and "대한 황대 수경" in Korean. Although my knowledge of the Korean language is virtually nil, I was able to figure out that "GORAE" was a transliteration of the Korean "고래", meaning "whale" and presumably a reference to the firm's logo.

I reread your message and saw you already were aware that those masks were on sale, so I dove deeper by searching the name od the company and the korean word history 역사 and traditional 전통. I wasn't able to find anything, but will poke around a bit more when I get the chance.

Thank you so much. I'm an ex-school foreign language teacher, but my languages are French and German, which give me the confidence to explore texts in other languages, but not necessarily the knowledge and skills to do so! I was hoping that someone on the ground in Korea would respond to my frustration.:) Thank you for what you have done so far.

Google listed a company named 대한수경 in Busan at this address:

Address: 729 Danggam 4(sa)-dong, Busanjin-gu, Busan
Phone: 051-896-4120

If you have a Korean speaking friend, you may be able to contact them directly to find out more about the masks and other products.

Thank you so much, Ladra. You and Joshua have given me plenty of food for thought!

"동평고무" [dongpyeong-gomu] appears to match the "DP Rubber" in the logo I posted:
img662-jpg.551559.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom