Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did three dives yesterday and found all the Megs in the pictures except the two small ones in the lower part of the pics. Diving the Cooper spoiledme with the good vis we had most of the time which is something that I am not used to but really enjoyed. Anyway, I felt quite at home digging in the river bottom mud, in the dark, with no vis that holds these teeth. I also brought back a bunch of big pieces of whale bone, a small piece of ivory from the base of the tusk and look at all the ear bones! Did one dive today and found the two small teeth (but proud of them!)and one frag. That was it. Some days you are on it and some days you are not. Oh yes, and I bumped into a BIG fish today...I mean REALLY BIG! It was still a good day on the river.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 88
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 87
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 75
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 72
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 89
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 77
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 74
Man you have some kinda sweet spot for finding fossils Vincent. That M5 Meg is a HIGH dollar specimen. I mean high. REAL high. Wonder what the Ivory would polish out like? The piece that is uniform diameter I am thinking could be turned into Ivory poker chips. The whale bones polish out to be mirror coal black. That really big fish may have been a Goliath Grouper. I have seen them offshore Jupiter Florida. There are BIG ones and then there are the Goliaths. Biggest fish I have seen yet. Scary HUGE.

Lee, looks like you are getting better with the cleaning. Pretty soon you'll be ready to tackle that Gomp tooth.

PS, that is A LOT of ear bones "...can ya hear me now?" LOL. Man, I was just down at my house in Rincon this past weekend but I spent the whole day doing work. I need to try my hand at diving down there for a 3" Mako tooth.

Mike... the Gomp is well coated. I have attacked it a little. I am tempted to leave it as is. It will be a very time consuming job. I just cant do half, get tired, and quit. The air brush/eraser and the buffing wheel hardly make a mark. Not in any hurry with it. Just dont want to muck it up. I am thinking an industrial bead blaster would do the trick. When working with metal, I weld and machine my parts then put them in the bead blaster and blow em off and make them look fabulous. I currently do not have access to a bead blaster but I bet there is at least one in North Charleston. Just have to find it and rent some time on it.

Are you going to get you a Kayak and fossil hunt the water edges with me this winter?

So now I am part of Scubaboard and I can make some comments. This past weekend was one of the best diving experiences ever...can't believe I am choosing the Cooper/Edisto over Fiji, Tahiti, Micronesia, Great Barrier Reef etc. You guys made it really special and the company is what makes the trip. I think I was underwater over 6 hours on Sunday in the Edisto and I could have stayed six more! I still cannot hear out of one ear. Phil, you were an amazing captain. Pond skipper...loved hearing you stories-wish you and Lee joined us in the Edisto. Al...it was great having you there on Sunday and I will be at Venice beach with you soon. I cannot wait to get back there.DSC_0371.jpgDSC_0372.jpgDSC_0375.jpgDSC_0377.jpg

Vincent..you need to post a picture your fin with the teeth marks...that is quite a collector piece! Good speaking to you today.

Hey BJT, you dove with Phil in the Edisto? looks like he put ya on the teeth. Phil is a magnet for that, that is why I usually only dive with him. That is one killer GW you have. I have NEVER found a GW from the Edisto with a full root. That is nice.

BTW, those other places are nice too, but there is just something about river diving for teeth, lol

Hello Brian,

Good to see some text from you. AND yes you can now make some comments. Please DO. By all means. I wish I had gone with you guys on Sunday, BUT I tend to need one day per week of dis-engagement. Scubaboard is one of the online places I hang out Brian so you can always count on me to post "something". I need to hook you up with Steve Mischew. Steve lives in Atlanta and is a dive/fossil hunting freak. I picked out the teeth I want in your photo. I will dig out some of my junk I am willing to offer as trade. Will post photos. No, screw you, is an acceptable response but at least wait till you see what I offer.

DSC_0377-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom