Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venice..... a place I have been to twice. I love that place....If it were not 5 hours away, I would go there every week!

DSC04715.jpg

Lee, here were some teeth I found on a venice trip....

Lee, here were some teeth I found on a venice trip....

You had a better trip then I did. I found a few things, two broken megs, three horse teeth, and some smll teeth but I could not find teeth anywhere. I wasn't alone either, Lee or Rick, the boat captain didn't find any. This is NOT a bash on Rick at all. I would go out with his crew anytime, had a good time with him but some dives you find them and some you don't, it just happened to be my "don't" lol

I will say this, we had like 5' of viz and it was awesome!!!! I hovered about 2 feet off the bottom. Forgot my cameras back at the hotel, was surrounded by a school of sheepshead fish, that was really cool, and we seen two sea turtles~!!!!

I would go back, but it would have to be a while because I spent too much $$$

Mike, your story is not unlike mine really, I think the nice tooth in the middle was around 3 inches and the hammered tooth was 4 inches......I have went to Venice three times for a total of 6 dives and have yet to find a big tooth there. I used Florida West all those times but am going with Aristikat next time just to see if there is a difference. I have called Jamie several times about diving but the weather was always uncooperative each time. Not sure what I was doing wrong but really enjoyed the visibility but should have been finding some bigger teeth......I wonder if the charters are just carrying everyone to the same spots......Great experience but may want to carry my own boat some time too.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 09:38 AM ----------

Mike, how did yall do on the land hunt??? did yall go to the Peace??

One of my dream trips would be to take my pontoon boat to Venice and dive for a whole week.....I bet I could find them!!

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 06:41 AM ----------

I will try to get some pics up of recent dives today......

DSC04495.jpgDSC04497.jpgDSC04500.jpgDSC04501.jpgDSC04517.jpg

Anybody else out there diving? I have got to where I don't even pay attention to the weather reports....Seem to be pretty unreliable...Hoping to dive the Edisto soon...find some rics....

I'd really like to find 1 or 2 people interested in diving the St. Mary's river in GA. It produces really nice teeth, but is not a dive for the faint of heart. Black water, strong currents, critters... If anyone has any experience diving it, I'd enjoy hearing about your dive. I did it once on my own boat, but it was tricky and didn't find a thing. If you are in south GA or north FL and have the itch and some experience, lets get a dive together!

Mike

Mike,

I know this thread is old and the last reply is pushing a year, but my sales territory just expanded to include GA, so I'll be heading east in the near future. When traveling that far from TX and that close to a place to dive for teeth, I know I'll be bringing my dive gear. So far my teeth hunting has been just about 7 years down in Venice, and last year diving off Wilmington (great dives, I'll have to post pics of the teeth, many over 5", several benedini,, a whale vert, and a pathological with a busted tip. I've been wanting to dive some rivers, Edisto, Cooper, and, since I now have GA, the St. Mary's just made my bucket list. Did you ever make it down there again? How was it?

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom