Anybody ever dive "rock hole" in East Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never heard of it till I read your post. So I did a Google search and found a picture. Looks good in the picture. I will have to drive down there next year and check it out. Thanks for the post. It's always good to hear about a possible site around here.
Got a link? I found Rock Hole ranch near Houston, and a rock hole swimming hole on the Neches River. There are probly more places called that. There is a camp site by that name in that forest: Official Guide to Texas Wildlife ... - Google Books

"Holes" are indeed very often spring fed, clear water, colder diving, with enticing niches I'd be leery of. By the time I gear up with a 7 mil, enough lead & pony bottle at Blue Hole in NM, then walk across the parking lot, I am thankful for the concrete stairs and handrails if I can get the gawkers to get off of their asses to let me use it. Some places some people dive, I'd want a mule to carry my gear to the site, a valet to help me gear up without a tailgate, and certainly help crawling out on muddy banks. :eek: Had to do that once, on my hands and knees.

I suppose I am overly cautious about emergency risks, but watching half a dozen divers leave sites in ambulances over the years can do that to a fellow.

Interesting find bluedart.... I've never heard about the place before but would love to hear more about it when you have that information to share.

Don't worry 'bout these guys "sounding" like they are getting on your A**.
They just want to see that you get to live to be an old fart diver like them ( and me ).

If you stick around this board long enough you'll figure out who the full blown A holes are and most of them are not Swampers.
Most of us Swampers are just part time A holes
:wink:

DandyDan the link you posted is it. If you look in the lower left part of the picture you can see how the clarity is of the water in reference to the rock outcropping that is seen.

I was reading the article and it explains the area as "heavily trashed" that was one of the things that amazed me about the place, I couldn't see any trash in sight. Being a native of east texas I know usally every rural rec area is trashed. Maybe someone is cleaning up the place.

It also refers to being a popular fishing hole, so I guess there maybe is bass or catfish in the hole, all I seen from topside was perch and minnows.

I've decided to listen to you guys and take someone other than my son as a dive buddy. I'll post pics when we do the dive. If this place works out it would be great considering its only 30 minutes from my house.

This link? Official Guide to Texas Wildlife ... - Google Books

I survived doing worse in my younger years, like free diving alone in known fishing areas. :eek: It's amazing how lucky I've been over the years. Of the two times I have rolled vehicles, I highly suggest doing so with seat belts on.

Back to diving the hole: Avoid deer season and carry two cutting tools each. Don't carry a light. Let us know how it goes...

Yes that link.

I had to think about why not to carry light but I know now to avoid any temptation if a cavern is there.

cbrich you hit the nail on the head. The smaller pond to the south looks septic but still maybe worth checking out. The one with the pointer looks good, but if you go after a rain I think you'll need a 4WD to get there.

I'm going next week and will give a honest report.

Looks good from the pics. Shoot me a PM if you need a buddy down there.

Last edited:
bluedart----or anyone else---did you happen to dive it???......Was a'wondering what it was like ie getting to it, the diving, etc etc.......Let me know of any experiences there........tia........

Actually the Blue Hole is not drained. CHUM in Houston got permission from the owners to dive it which we did last year. The owners wanted to see if there was anything on the bottom of big interest(which there wasnt). It is locked and not open to the public.

Back
Top Bottom