Anybody work with handicapped divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad I came across this thread. I have a friend who has been handicapped since birth, though she used to be on the swimteam in high school, and I have been bugging her to try scuba. I just never knew what direction to point her to. Of course I keep joking with her that she'd look hot in a wetsuit (well she is hot). Hopefully now armed with some information I can nudge her back into the water very soon.

My sister is disabled and she got certified about 2 years ago. However, she has not been able to really dive. She gets nervous about her ears and has problem equalizing. She has gotten down about 2 times. She really wants to be able to do it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to help her or different techinques, please let me know!

A little more info about her and her disability would be helpful, but I can understand why she would be nervous with only 2 dives under her belt.

Most new divers have trouble equalizing- look in the basic scuba discussions for more tips and techniques, but equalize early and often and descend slowly. Sometimes it helps to wiggle the jaw or tilt the head from side to side.

njdiver20:
My sister is disabled and she got certified about 2 years ago. However, she has not been able to really dive. She gets nervous about her ears and has problem equalizing. She has gotten down about 2 times. She really wants to be able to do it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to help her or different techinques, please let me know!

Hey,
My name is Janice and I am a Diveheart volunteer. I would be more than happy to talk to anyone about who we are and what we do. I am a newer diver, but I am very passionate about what Diveheart does. Hope to hear from you.
Janice

Iam an Instructor for the IAHD

Ihave been teaching persons with disabilities for over nine years, and would be more than willing to talk to anyone about what our organizations do.

I wanted to throw my .02 into this Dave Odonnel in eastern PA does a lot of work with challenged divers and people who just want to try it. anyone close should give him a call. great bunch of people

http://www.odonneldiving.com/

Working with disabled divers is very rewarding. I'm an HSAI instructor and partially disabled. Underwater you loose the bounds of gravity which is so important to mobility impaired

Great thread!

As a healthcare professional working with people with physical challenges, I concur that there is a tremendous opportunity to expand horizons and capabilities of many utilizing SCUBA and related water activities.

Sadly it is aquatics that is receiving cuts in medicaid support; many children that had been receiving aquatic therapy have had it eliminated.

BTW: Sea Hunt, 1958, there was an episode wherein SCUBA was used as a therapy, and Mike Nelson stated what a huge opportunity this would provide. Of course, Sea Hunt had to depict the 'paraplegic' client as a beautiful psychosomatically disabled blonde, but the idea was planted, nevertheless!.

Thanks Lloyd and Sea Hunt!

And Thank You to all of the posters providing services that will truly make a difference in people's lives!

I have trained 2 students with disabilities. One was a big knee injury and no real issue once a leg brace was fitted. The other was a young lady with a very shortened left arm ( she called it her flipper). The biggest issue that we had was that I had to change my teaching method to get through skills without using a left hand. This was a great experience for me and improved my teaching skills. Both of these students had a passion and determination that most others don't. I will be going further into this once I have some more training. I would encourage all instructors to get involved. Its very rewarding to train these people and see them get through the class.
I do have to add that my young lady student would slap me with her flipper if she heard me say the word disabled. It hurt by the way. The only people uncomfortable with disabilities are the freaky normal people.

I have only had the PLEASURE of working with 2 Individuals that were disabled both had severe leg trauma and little to no use of there legs .As much as it is nice to see any new divers reaction after accomplishing there BOW and the gleem in there eyes you can multiply that by 100 for a disabled individual ( at least the 2 I worked with ) Wish I had more oppurtunities to work with such positive people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom