Anyone been to Gili Trawangan Indonesia recently????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice place, although I was only there for a week, it would have been nice to stay longer. It was about a year and a half since I was there. Perhaps could be descibed as a backpacker island? Seems like alot of the visitors were younger and on extended travels. Plus a few families, expats, and serious divers. Small, quiet island with a nice location. Once you get away from the small town area, it is fairly undeveloped, easy to find a long stretch of beach with no one else around.

I spoke with several dive shops and got the impression that there are some very experienced and knowledgable poeple working there in the dive industry. The diving there was decent, perhaps not quite as good as some of the sites on nearby Bali, but I did enjoy the diving. Also, I believe there are at least a couple shops that chartered or operated liveaboards to some really nice destinations. I think that it could be a good place to work.

Gili Trawangan is a very cool, beautiful island and well worth a visit. There's actually 3 islands to choose from, Gili Air, Gili Meno and Gili Trawangan. Trawangan is the liveliest and has the most choice of dive centres. The islands has no cars and is run by the local chief, rather than the police, which is refreshing. It has a really nice atmosphere and plenty of cheap places to stay.

The dive centres are all well run and professional and the diving is fun. Good drift diving with plenty of turtles and other interesting stuff. The coral is better in other parts of Indonesia, but as a fun, cheap dive destination it's a very good bet.

This dive guide might also be useful to you as well to give you more of an idea

Gilis Dive Guide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom