Anyone dive without a BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've noticed I do the vast majority of my buoyancy control with lung control.. basically adjusting my breathing.

If I need to be less buoyant, I go from full exhale and only inhale half my normal breath, and repeat the cycle.

If I need to be more buoyant, I go from full inhale, and only exhale half my normal breath, and repeat the cycle.

I realize this isn't the best thing in terms of carbon dioxide retention as the ratio of dead space from my lungs to the intake/exhaust valves is smaller than if I were to take a full breath every respiration.

However, I did a little math, and based on average lung vital capacity of 4.2 liters, this change from breathing on the bottom half to breathing on the top half of my lung capacity results in a change of roughly 4.7 pounds.

So in theory.. in warm water diving where loss of buoyancy from exposure protection compressing is negligible, I should be able to dive without a vest/wing as long as the weight change from full tank to empty tank is less than 4.7 pounds (consumption of 58 cubic feet of air) *AND* I am weighted neutral with a full tank and 3/4 full lungs (average for more buoyant lung capacity respirations) *or* neutral empty tank with 1/4 full lungs (average for less buoyant lung capacity respirations)

So am I right? If I set myself up right.. in theory I could dive comfortably with a 63 cubic foot tank, and finish with a 5 cubic foot reserve, without using a BCD..

Of course I would most definitely bring a lift bag for an emergency event requiring floatation.

Please tell me I'm right.. I soooo want to make an ultra minimal system =)

Hi,
This is the way that it was done in the before times-the long long ago. No BC's at all.
The no-BC solution is the way it was.

I skipped the math... sorry. But if you want to dive without a BC then go for it.

ScottB:
So am I right? If I set myself up right.. in theory I could dive comfortably with a 63 cubic foot tank, and finish with a 5 cubic foot reserve, without using a BCD..
You're right.
I do it occasionally, when I have a nostalgia attack.
Rick

You should do it in shllow and tell us if your maths is right:wink:

You have the idea. I tried it for the first time this summer and it is a very liberating experience. Minimal neoprene is the key.

Pete

Scott: Very good. You recognize the BC is not a crutch. I did not use a BC much in the 1970's. We felt that it wasn't perfected yet. Often, when I do a freshwater dive, I use a BC and don't add air. No big deal. When ocean diving, we used to drain the tank low, and snorkel back to the boat. I need the BC in Florida for ocean diving today. Many dives are drift dives, and the boat comes to pick you up. The BC keeps you up in the water and more visible while waiting.

Are there many divers in Mendota? My wife's family is from Hiltons.

Hello Stu.. I'm the only one I know of :wink:

I got my open water from Adventure Diving just outside Bristol TN, and currently dive with Smoky Mountain Divers in Kingsport TN. Going to have to head toward the Caribbean to put my evil minimalist plot to work :wink:

On nearly every boat dive here in SoCal there are a couple of backpack hippies.

No BC, just weights, small tanks and a backpack.

And berkenstocks, beards, beads.....

Peace.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom