Anyone diving over the Easter weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cat

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be in SW Ontario/TO from April 17th to 22nd (flying out late from Hamilton). Have to run a few errands in KW on the 17th, probably but... anyone want to dive? I'll be fairly mobile while there and I might even hava buddy (if he can be persuaded to dive that cold again so soon after Marmora :D )

Failing that - would be nice to just get together so I can meet some of you "southerners" - I think i'm about to become the only Freak in T-Bay :(

I don't imagine you'll want to cross GTA and head North to Burleigh Falls (North of Peterborough). You would be facing 2 1/2 to 3 hours if you're going to be in Hamilton. Here's some other suggestions:

1) You might want to check out Scuba2000's board and see if they have any students or divers trying out Innerkip or other quarries on the West side of GTA.

2) Might be easier for you to get down to Niagara and do a drift dive....

Then again, if you're diving wet, you might like to do a polar bear jump in Lake Ontario for a minute or two and the diving urge should subside as quick as your core body temp.....

It isn't cold......it's "refreshing. Seriously, I'm planning on going on a club dive in the Trent River on the 18th and then away at the in-laws (landlocked) for the rest of the weekend.:(
Otherwise, I'd be there with you Cat.
Randy...

Actually, the 18th-19th are the days for me to dive, if there's any takers...

I have family to visit in TO on the 20-21st. I won't be in Hamilton itself very long - it just happens to be where the plane comes in (and leaves from) :D

Closest diving to KW is probably Grand Bend, Goderich or Sarnia areas but i'm not sure what's there.
(Driving as far as Peterborough and/or Trent R. wouldn't really be a problem. Kingston might be pushing it a bit.) Cold water hasn't been a problem so far and shouldn't be too much of an issue (cold air after I get out may be a different story) even though yes, I'd be diving soaking soggy wet. What's at Burleigh Falls?

You could consider Sarnia, talk to the folks on this thread:http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24970&highlight=sarnia

Check this out for Grand Bend: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13537&highlight=grand+bend

Burleigh would be out of the question in my view for any wetsuit diver for the reasons listed at the end of this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t24433/s.html

If you are on the East Side of Toronto (Bowmanville), you could consider the Juno in Lake Ontario - it is a rather tame shore dive in 20 - 30 ft to some boards a couple 100 metres off shore. Lake Ontario would likely be almost balmy ~50 oF (was 48 oF in February 03). Still not great but doable I suppose. Similar to Toby... I could set this up for Friday at 5ish on the 18th if that works for you although I think you could find better alternatives that wouldn't involve fighting across GTA on a Friday afternoon (something everyone needs to experience ONCE!)

I would be happy to host a fellow Edmontonian. I was born & raised there, many fond memories of training for Track & Field at the Kinsmen Field House & the river valley trails; winning Edmonton Junior Golf championship & leading Junior Team to victory over Mexican National Team at my home club: Glendale Golf &CC, a unique brilliant blue sky; however, you can keep the dry, bitter cold winters - Easterns and there "Wet cold" bah, they've never felt their face feel like it is cracking, and had a car mat explode like shrapnel from being out in -30 oF. I still remember 20 years ago trying to explain to one of my Toronto bosses what a block heater was all about and why they had plug ins at an Edmonton hospital parking lot...sorry I digress...

Spectre walked me through 'puter links 101. My previous response now has some useful info for you...

Take care whatever you decide. Chose wisely your site to ensure that you can get yourself out of the water when YOU want to.

Wetsuit diving at this time of year, even with hot water priming can leave some people shivering, not exactly ideal vis-a-vis DCI risk, particularly if you're considering multiple dives - ok, enough nagging, dive safe, enjoy your trip...

my buddy and I are trying to go diving this weekend but it is not looking good for the weather... he wants to try out his drysuit and I want to see if I will be cold at all in my 7 mil.....

I did some diving up here a few years ago in novenber while snowing and I was ok.

I was going to cancel my trip south (work is busy) but got convinced otherwise. Barring illness or a sudden reappearance of winter, jrtonkin and self will be hunting for places to dive and people to dive with for the 18-19 April. Kingston is a stretch but doable (have to find somewhere to stay overnight in that case - recommendations?) T-Bay is still iced over (it was warm yesterday but not enough to completely thaw out the lake) and apparently Georgian Bay is still iced over (noted in passing by a coworker who drove up yeaterday).

So - where is there open water and open dive stores over Easter? (I already know about Northern Tech Diver, thanks!) Cat

I've got an invite, tanks with air, and a drysuit.... going diving!

Anyone else?

where ya going, DG?

Ok, I will not be at the dinner tomorrow, since I am at the OTHER end of the Great Lakes right now but jrtonkin should be so if anyone has any suggestions and/or wants to get together on the 18-19, please tell him! I will be with you all in spirit, if not in calories :D

Back
Top Bottom