Anyone else have rusting issues with Benchmade H20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group of us (non-divers) had an opportunity to get similar engravings done on a group buy of Benchmade knives. I figured I get a dive knife, so I'd have both a working blade as well as the memento.

After the first dive with it, upon getting home and cleaning all of my gear (an hour after the dive), I noticed some rust on the rope cutting hook. It appeared to be surface rust, so while I was disappointed, it wasn't the end of the world. After the second dive though, right out of the water, I noticed more rust, this time coming out of the handle.

I sent it in to Benchmade to have them look at it. Long story short, they told me it was my fault for storing it in the sheath without cleaning it, even though I told them the full narrative both on the warranty sheet I sent in, as well as on the phone with a support tech. They returned it after "sharpening inspection and cleaning". You can still see the rust near the handle.

Now I'm stuck with a knife I can't trust. I've never had this issue with my Spyderco Salt.

Yep! Mine rusts too! I've sharpened it several times over the past few years.

I don't think it's a trust thing - it's pretty rugged with or without the rust.
But it's not very pretty any place there's bare metal. Poor alloy choice, I'd say.

cook them in citric acid ( standard ASTM A967 citric acid passivation treatments )

4-10% citric acid 71°C @ 4min , 60°@10 min or 49°@ 20min

full article
Article: Passivation of stainless steels

Where do you find 4-10% premixed citric acid?

cook them in citric acid ( standard ASTM A967 citric acid passivation treatments )

4-10% citric acid 71°C @ 4min , 60°@10 min or 49°@ 20min

full article
Article: Passivation of stainless steels

All well and good, but why doesn't Benchmade do this if they're selling a dive knife?

All well and good, but why doesn't Benchmade do this if they're selling a dive knife?

I think rslinger had the correct answer a few posts back:

:"Poor alloy choice, I'd say."

I think rslinger had the correct answer a few posts back:

:"Poor alloy choice, I'd say."

Agreed, my question was mostly rhetorical :wink:

Reactions: mdb
Even the best material RUST without knowledge and proper finishing .

If I have knife I could sent it to quick test to XRF analyser

PS: citric acid you can get in normal food store as preservative ( for jam)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom