Anyone ever dive Lake Malawi?¿¿¿¿

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrismac

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about taking a trip to Lake Malawi because I really starting to like African Cichlids and want to see them in thier natural enviroment, any divers out there been to Malawi? any sugestions? :) :yellow:

I have been there a few years ago. Went diving in Cape Mclear and Nkata bay. It was the first (and last) time I dived in sweet water lake, so I didn't know what to expect. I thought it will be a murky bottom but in some places there are lots of huge boulders that are fallen one on top of the other, creating lots of passages, caves, crevices full with fish. There are lots of colorfull fish everywhere, but they are very small ones. The lake is really deep, perhaps having an unexplored bottom at ~1000meters (the lake is in the African rift valley), the whole area is also beautiful and a very nice and peaceful atmosphere. In general it was really nice but after diving in Sinai, S.Africa, Mozambique and Kenya it wan't comparable. I prefer the red sea and I am not sure I would make a trip to Malawi only for diving.

!!! One important note !!!

There are rumors that Bilharzia is prevalent in Lake Malawi. It is important to verify where and when it is safe to dive/bathe in the lake. I wouldn't trust Malawi's health ministry and rather check in the WHO (World Health Organization), or the CIA's information center for travellers (It's no ****, they have something like this). In any case, don't trust travell agents/friends/unqualified people/Untrustful internet sites or whoever tells you "It is OK there" or "Don't worry". Just make sure and enjoy your trip (in case you decide to go there). BTW, I think there's an old (from the late 80s) National Geographic article by David Doubilet on Lake Malawi..

As a result of living in Israel and spending two years in Africa, about 99% of my dives are in the Red Sea...
How is the Red Sea? IMHO it's one of the best diving places in the world.

I agree with Vicky's sentiments on the Red Sea - it really has some superb diving. I have only dived in the Sharm El Sheikh and Dahab region but this year am going further south to the Marine Park Islands, where the diving is supposed to be even better due to the large numbers of pelagics

I live in Eastren Canada I've never been to that side of the world but I really want to experience it

I'm use to cold
mostly murkey water
i guess I wouldn't know what to do there at all I would most likly be amased beyond belife:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom