Anyone ever order from Europe....looking for a Vyper Air Black (not avail in US)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sshrum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I spoke to my LDS about the Vyper Air and he indicated that there were issues with the hardware in the computer that was screwing up when in proximity of other Suunto transmitters that would force the comp into gauge mode and / or shut it down for 48 hours. He called his guy and found out that the Black version, which doesn't really have any new features over the current Vyper Air, does include updated hardware to avoid the transmitter problem.

The issue is that, while the Black is actually being distributed in Europe right now, the US distributor will not release the Black in the US until their current supply of the Vyper Air is depleted.

CRAP! I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW.

Has anyone ever purchased a Suunto from overseas in a fashion that does not void the warranty?

TIA

EDIT: Here's the link to the new black ver: http://www.suunto.com/us/en/products/diving-instruments/suunto-vyper-air/suunto-vyper-air-black

Last edited:
Figured while I was waiting for a response to my post here, I'd research this quarky behavior as I now suspect anything that the LDS tells me.

I can't find anyone talking about the close proximity transmitter Dive Air mid-dive switch to Dive Gauge mode problem that my LDS was talking about. He did call someone while I was in the shop and they seemed to acknowledge the issue and that it was addressed in the newer models but I just find it odd that no one has reported this problem here.

Is the LDS just FOS?

Suunto has a reputation for excellent service, have you contacted them?
I can't help but wonder if it is possible to use the PC hookup to upgrade the software in the VyperAir. I also have to wonder if there isn't something wrong with your computer given that the Vyper Air has won some awards as an outstanding product -makes it hard to believe it could have this kind of problem. I have a couple friends that use the air integration but unfortunately they all use some other air-integrated model (Vytec DS or HelO2), not the VyperAir.
If the problem is in your computer not in the product in general, Suunto might fix it for you. Ask them! Contact the local distributor and complain to a higher level if you don't get the service you feel you should have received.
You also make me think you should ask the distributor: you gonna get me what I want or do you really want me to buy if from someplace else?

Is the US in a free trade zone with Canada? To my knowledge the VyperAir Black is already sold there.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you'd be interested (especially since I haven't been posting here long), but my LDS down the street sold me my Vyper Air. I would be more than willing to run down and get you one if you were interested.

My wife & I BOTH have Vyper Air's. Since we are buddies when we dive, we are always in close proximity. Never had a problem like you describe.

No one has heard of this...I even called Suunto directly. The issue maybe more for those rare occasions when a transmitter is on the same channel. The Suunto rep didn't sound to sure when she indicated that there are 50 channels. The manual doesn't indicate how many and the diagrams in it shows a shot with channel 10 listed so there are at least 10 that I can confirm.

I'm gunna get the Suunto Vyper Air. I can't find anyone that has run into any technical issues with it. I've found a couple of issues with their warranty support but that is always going to be a mixed bag.

@esears: Thanks for the offer. I'm just gunna get the blue (another LDS near me is running a 10% sale so I cna get that one for ~$800 with the transmitter and interface cable).

From what I can tell there is no difference between the two models other than color. The issues that the dive shop guy was telling me was probably BS. I've contacted Suunto directly and they have no record of this interaction nor can I find a posting anywhere on the net about it.

...also, the dewd was pushing the Galileo pretty hard so I had my doubts.

I just got my Suunto Vyper Air Black & USB set from a UK dive shop (https://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/) . I originally wanted to purchase the watch from a suunto exclusive dealer based in Athens (SUUNTOMANIA - SUUNTO EXCLUSIVE SHOP) since they offered the cheapest price (415 euros), but I found out they don't ship outside the EU. I tried to see if divers warehouse would be able to price match, and while they couldn't match the price, they did give me a good discount and used priority fedex international shipping which took 3 days for delivery.

In summary, with the discount and taking away the VAT, I got my Suunto Vyper Air Black & USB Cable for about 367 pounds :)

I have had a lot of problems buying over seas I wouldnt recomend it, warrantys are usually bad and then you still have to deal with customs. I wouldnt do it.

Nowadays the regional importer is usually required to respect the products warranty & provide service. Esp. appropriate witha sport as travel-oriented as diving. If your computer breaks in Egypt or Australia, you buy a new one in Egypt or Australia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom