Anyone ever solo under ice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax, chainsaw is in lakes, great lakes you go ln after ice breaker passes, you have a hour window before you cant break through the ice. You teather to your snowmobile so if it freezes over some one can recover your body.

Happy Diving

Jax, chainsaw is in lakes, great lakes you go ln after ice breaker passes, you have a hour window before you cant break through the ice. You teather to your snowmobile so if it freezes over some one can recover your body.

Happy Diving

:shocked:

As someone said, there is no shortage of guts around here. Just Wow!

AS Jax says Voodoo I gotta give you your props! If all goes wrong remember ''Go towards the light'' I'll probally be right behind ya:confused:

Okay, I'm going to share my secrets of safety precautions for untethered solo ice diving:

#1- Make sure the hole in the ice is big enough to find quickly
#2- Make sure you have a safety diver ready to retrieve you if needed
P4160003_ACt_R1000.jpg

#3- Make sure the ice is weak enough to break through from below in case #1 and #2 safety precautions don't save you. Here's a shot of testing the ice to see if at least my middle finger can be shoved through the ice to signal for help. If needed, a snorkel could also be passed through the finger hole during the long and uncertain wait for help to arrive, if you get lucky enough to actually alert someone.
P4160025_ACt_R1000.jpg

#4- If the first three precautions are taken, it's time to enjoy a very relaxing and peaceful solo ice dive.
P4160028_ACt_R1000.jpg

#5- After the dive, evaluate your bubble trail to see if your sense of direction was accurate. The bubble trail has another benefit: makes finding the body easier if you've screwed up!
P4160031_ACt_R1000.jpg

#6- Don't do any of this unless you've had the training and certification. :wink:

Dave C

I have never been under the ice or even in cold water, I am a florida warm water wimp. I do dive solo on deep (over 400') dives or cave dives frequently. I do not see any problem with doing solo ice dives if the proper training has been done.

Just seems like a very cold cave dive to me.

Nice pics Dave.. Let me guess N.H.???? Thats what I was talking about earlier in the thread ''Open water under Ice'' My open water was alittle closer though. Never thought of retracing the air bubbles Good observation. P.s. love the torpedo avatar!!

Nice pics Dave.. Let me guess N.H.???? Thats what I was talking about earlier in the thread ''Open water under Ice'' My open water was alittle closer though. Never thought of retracing the air bubbles Good observation. P.s. love the torpedo avatar!!

Yep, Dublin Lake, in Dublin, New Hampster! :D

I gave some serious thought to the added risks, but I have a lot of faith in the old Sherwood Blizzard regulators on my HP120 and al30 pony. :)

Yeah, torpedo rays are my favorite local critters....when they're in a good mood.... :wink:

Dave C

Yep, Dublin Lake, in Dublin, New Hampster! :D

I gave some serious thought to the added risks, but I have a lot of faith in the old Sherwood Blizzard regulators on my HP120 and al30 pony. :)

Yeah, torpedo rays are my favorite local critters....when they're in a good mood.... :wink:

Dave C

Love the combo hp120/al30......Ya have me beat hp100/al40 ......Let some newbe figure that sentance out:idk:

When I ice dive I like to go for a little stroll.

Sometimes it's fun to take a tennis ball and ice hockey sticks diving and play hockey under the ice!

Ice diving also taught me to make nice SLOW ascents - nothing like knocking yourself out just when you reach the surface!

Hey! What's wrong with those bubbles!!!! (oh yeah... the photo must have been taken in Australia!) :D

84873d1289270620-anyone-ever-solo-under-ice-2010-ice-diving-1.jpg

Attachments

• 2010 Ice Diving 1.JPG
    2010 Ice Diving 1.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 133
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom