anyone ever try wearing non-ditchable weight under their dry suit ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of several divers that use steels tanks a 6lb wings and don't dive with ditchable weight. To each there own'

I know of several divers that use steels tanks a 6lb wings and don't dive with ditchable weight. To each there own'

Please send me a link for a 6lb wing.:D

I think you mean 16lb wing. The rig can be ditched even with a steel tank and plate, an expensive process and not optimal, but at surface or shallow depth viable. Even at depth if you have a buddy with air or sling a pony its viable. If your weight it inside the suit, you options become more limited. As I said increased risk, no benefit.

The scenario you describe has a benefit (less gear to maintain and weight better distributed in the case of a steel BP) to offset the slight increase in risk. Its a balance you work out for yourself.

I don't know whether you do any Rib diving but here in the UK it's very popular. To get in the Rib you must first pass up your weights. Then get out of your rig and it gets pulled pushed into the Rib. I guess at this stage with a weight belt under your dry suit you will be

A- struggling to keep your head above the water

B- plummeting to the bottom

Yes I know you can use your dry suit to keep you afloat but what if you have had a catastrophic leak. I would, as others have mentioned, get a harness. I have most of my weight on a back plate and V weight but still carry some ditch-able weight in a harness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not me; if I'm in a situation that calls for a lot more weight, I opt for a full external harness which allows for ditchable weight placement in almost any location. IMO, a weight belt inside a dry-suit is a bad idea...

I would not wear non-ditchable weights of any type and I am not a big fan of integrated weights either. If I am in a situation that is bad enough for me to drop my weights I want them all gone in one shot. If you were to have an issue with a belt or harness coming loose under your dry suit and insulation it would be difficult if not impossible to fix the problem. You could end up with all that weight in one leg of the suit. Having the belt on the outside of your dry suit may be causing a squeeze but it is doing so in a good area. That squeeze is limiting the amount of air that can go to your legs reducing the chance of an uncontrolled feet first assent should you get too much air in the legs that can not be easily vented. This seems like a huge risk to take just to achieve a nearly useless function like holding a hover.

uh oh....look what i started. haha j/k thx for all the interest

just to touch on a few points brought up:
i wear a bare nex gen pro suit with a thin skin layer and a hollis aug100 for undies. i typically carry about 22lbs of extra weight (lead). about 10 on the belt and 12 in my jacket style bc weight pockets. so all of that is ditchable.
i am using a single xsscuba (worthington??) LP77 steel cylinder.

if i had to remove my gear - i still float perfectly fine in my suit with hood, gloves, and mask/fins/snorkel. i only would put about 10lbs in the suit. and i know it takes about 28 lbs added to get me neutral when wearing just the suit,hood, gloves, mask/fins/snorkel. i know because i tried it

what if my dry suit floods - at the start of any dive i am aprox 5 or 6lbs negative. if my suit were to completely flood i loose the aprox 28lbs of lift. my bc alone has about 28lbs of lift. if i ditch 5 or 10lbs from the bc and fill the bc, i now have 33 to 38lbs positive lift avail
what if my suit flooded with my gear off (ie: if i was taking it off to hand it off to the boat crew) - well, i have never done that and can't see ever having to. and if i did, the odds that i would have a suit flood at that exact moment make that scenario extremely improbable

i was bored last night thinking of different approaches to my gear set up and thought this might be an interesting conversation. i do think it would be more comfortable for sure and less crowded than if outside the suit.

don't misunderstand, i am not gonna put 30lbs on a flimsy belt under my suit. now that would be suicide. it would only be about 10lbs and it would have to be on a set up that absolutely cannot come off inside. i am a fan of having plenty of ditchable weight. i don't subscribe to the philosophy that some have that it is ok to dive without any ditchable weight. that to me is an accident waiting to happen.

keep it comin !!

keep it comin !!

Dude, come on. Noone has said they do this or think its wise. You're fishing for approval.

At least make sure your life insurance is up to date.

I don't think it would be very comfortable. I have, in the past, put a couple of weights in my undergarment pockets, just because I could get them lower on my body than I could any other way. It made the undergarment uncomfortable on land.

Do consider, though, if you put ten or more pounds inside the dry suit, what you will be doing to the amount of lift your BC needs if your dry suit floods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom