Anyone familiar with SCOTT air packs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a retired fireman has four tanks from when our local departments switched over to the new carbon fiber tanks, and he said I could have them if I wanted them. My question is, is anyone familiar with these tanks, and are they any good for diving applications? I have not looked at them yet, so I don't know what they are made out of or what size they are. I hate to pass up a deal on free tanks, but I have never heard of anyone using old fire dept. tanks for diving. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this situation for me. Thanks!:confused:

I am not a fireman but my last two dive buddies were. As I understand from discussions with my dive buddies, SCOTT air packs are not set up to be used underwater but on land. I think even the valves are different. These tanks have no use for SCUBA!!!

I am not talking about using the Scott system underwater, I was only asking about using the tanks, and I fully expect to at least have to change the valves.

Fiber-wrapped cylinders will absorb water and corrode the enclosed metal cylinder where you can't see it, bad news. Really bad news if you're diving salt water.

They're buoyant as balloons, and you'll have to carry a ton of weight around your waist to get down.

They have a limited life span and must be retired after 15 years. If your local FD replaced them, they were probably near EOL then.

Roak

I am sorry guys, I guess Idid not make myself clear the first time. These tanks are not the new carbon fiber tanks that the local departments switched over to, they are the ones used previous to those. Roak, I would definitley agree with the fact that carbon fiber wrapped cylinders, or fiberglass wrapped cylinders would definitley not be good for diving.

Are they steel or al? What's the thread size? They used different valve threads than scuba on some scott cylinders. How many cubic ft. are they? I think I'd rather spend a $50-$100 and buy a used scuba cylinder than risk using a cylinder for a purpose that it was not designed....just my $.02.....They only go BOOM once:):)
Ken

I just got through calling my friend who has the tanks and he said they were about 24" tall and about 6.75" in diameter, and they are aluminum with a pressure rating of 2216psi, or what Scott refers to as a 30 minute tank. Assuming these tanks will accept a scuba type valve, why would they not make good stage tanks or something of that nature??? Also, can someone tell me how to figure out how many cubic feet of air these tanks hold, or do I not have enough measurements for that??

Sounds like the 50 cubic footers, they'll take a standard 3/4" o-ring scuba valve.
I have a set of steel doubles made up out of "spare parts", they work great.
I'm not sure if the added cost of the viz+ will make them worth your while. Try to swap 'em off for steel ones.
:mean:

Where are you going to get them VIP/hydro'd and filled? Take one into your LDS and if they look at you weird you probably won't be able to use them...

For all of the trouble and cost that you might have to go through in order to get them rated for SCUBA...

You could have purchased a ready to go AL80 brand new that would have a very long service life and way less hassle.

Tell your Firefighter friend thanks, then pawn them off on someone playing paintball.

Back
Top Bottom