Anyone going to Roatan? Looking for dive buddies or deals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair point -.

You have not yet told us which zone of the island you intend to reside, but for most similar posts, it usually indicates a reference to the West End environ.

Assuming West End, if you want top tier instruction in this very narrow agenda, next-step tech curriculum, my go to choice would be Will Welbourn at Coconut Tree Divers.

You will have to hire any given instructor on an individual basis to provide this kind of experiential training. I prefer to teach this 1:1 and don’t see how it can be accomplished otherwise. (I am in Chicago, so count me out)

A whole lot of people in many disciplines, ranging from SCUBA to firearms training to… you name it… a lot of people want “expert instruction”. Very few will ever dig out their wallet and pay the price for expert advice. I hope that you are one, but remember, guys like Will have to make a living- they are essentially selling their time.

There are any number of instructors (anywhere) that can teach you those skills on your list. Again, it’s going to cost you for a 1:1 lesson or three. A monkey can learn a frog kick with enough time on YouTube. Unfortunately the same is likely not true of the aforementioned desire for that other thing- firearms training :wink:

Speaking of video… Get somebody to video you. The entire dive. Don’t “act”, just dive. It should give you a whole lot of information. You’re doing things that you would not imagine. Not good things. (Don’t worry, it’s the norm)

If your dive count is correct, less than 50 dives, I might also suggest that you just first go dive a whole bunch and don’t fret these details. You were given the basics for buoyancy (right there in the PADI classes that I believe you speak of with derision because you have yet to master it or because it’s the thing all the hep kids do), Now- go out and practice this skills and perfect them. PADI is no worse nor any better than any of the rest of them…get over it.

In my 16th year of skiing, on one single day in Colorado, I had my epiphany and became a really good skier. This stuff takes time. Go dive. Learn from those around you. Ask questions. When it finally happens, you’ll know it. I do not believe it can be “beaten into” a person.

Again, a Peak Performance Buoyancy is a perfect (cheap) next step after OW. I would say to go be quiet until you do one of those, then we can talk :wink: And, you’re in Roatan, God’s Garden, so learn to see what you’re looking at… get an UW Naturalist course as well.

Silly question does either CCV or AKR support CCR diving?

Thanks for the wall of text Doc :) I'm definitely willing to pay for some expert time.

I actually did an AOW a while back so went through one buoyancy dive as part of that. Generally agree though that I've just gotten a lot more comfortable as I've added more dives.

I don't expect any miracles or free expertise. Just want some strong pointers early to help me get in good habits. Maybe it makes sense to just add more fun dives before doing so.

Reactions: Doc
Silly question does either CCV or AKR support CCR diving?

CCV, yes, for sure, contact them in advance. They won’t even look at you funny. :grouphug2:

I do dive there on air, getting 27 dives a week, about ±32hrs BT.

oh wow! incredibly complete and helpful. must have taken a while to put that all together too, so thanks!!!
I just booked the aggressor for the x-mas week, but my flights are mondays, so I've got 2 weeks in roatan, with the LOB in the middle. This'll be my first time there, so I'll be reading this post to figure out where to book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom