Anyone got info on the French Polynesia Master liveaboard, launching 2016?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50 minutes :( that's a shame.
I liked the solid 60 min dive times on previous Siren trips and had hoped (?even assumed) they'd apply to the whole WWDAS fleet.

Just waiting for a friend currently on this boat to ask the question..,.at 25 guests...when does this become a boutique cruise ship a la Paul Gaugin with diving or a Diving LOB?

50 minutes :( that's a shame.
I liked the solid 60 min dive times on previous Siren trips and had hoped (?even assumed) they'd apply to the whole WWDAS fleet.

I REALLY hate timed dives, especially considering the incredible $, time and distance/travel hassles involved in simply getting there!

I hate timed dives too. I have an opportunity to book this trip on the FP Master LOB but if it is a strict timed dive, I may just back out. Our dives on the Palau Siren were always over 50 mins. I also hate the depth limits imposed on divers which is one reason I no longer go to the Cayman Islands. When there is too much hand holding by the dive op, it spoils the freedom of diving. I'm a responsible diver and hate having Big Brother watching over me. For the money I'll be spending, I want the freedom to dive without oppressing limits.

Many thanks, OceanEyes, for sharing your candid impressions and perspective.

I recently returned from my first voyage aboard French Polynesian Master, having traveled aboard for her Tuamotos itinerary sailing from Fakarava to Rangiroa this past March 22nd thru April 1st...

Here’s where things started to go off the rails: According to all of the information that both the booking agent and Master Liveaboards provided prior to the trip, divers with rescue certifications, (or their equivalent), and higher would be restricted to a maximum depth of 40 meters on all dives, while those with a certification lower than rescue diver, (including those with deep diver specialty certifications), would be restricted to a maximum depth of 30 meters. This was also the information that was posted on the Master’s website at least up until the day I left home and started to make my way to French Polynesia. While I did not at all like these limits, my traveling companion and I assented to the strictures specified by Master Livaboards, made our payments, purchased our airfare, and began our journey. It was only after boarding the FPM that we were informed that these rules were no longer in effect. The new rules stated that the maximum depth limit for all divers regardless of their experience or training would be 29 meters...

This is a surprise. I came back to this thread after having turned away from the idea of booking a trip on this boat, several months ago. I was OK with all the cost and logistical hassles that would be required. What ultimately put me off was the flakeyness, non-professionalism, and awful (potential) customer communications with the WWDS folks. I found them impossible to get a straight answer out of - they generally did not answer email, and when they finally did after several weeks and multiple polite reminders, their responses were nonsensical BS ie "just check the website, everything's there". The website was broken, errored out when looking up the most basic details (like price), and when I pointed this out, the response was "we'll check on that!" with no further replies. So I reluctantly concluded this was not an organization I wanted to which I felt comfortable wiring five-figure amounts. It sounds like the crew on the boat are great, it's a shame the folks on the marketing and business end are so clueless and/or lacking integrity.

Me, I am NOT certified as a rescue diver - yet - but I have a trip coming up in a few months where I plan to get that certification - and that was specifically with the intent of removing the training-wheel restrictions on a future trip to FP. Sounds like that plan may no longer be worthwhile (I don't doubt the value in the training itself, but the effort and expense will be harder to sell to my dive partner spouse, who grudgingly agreed to do it if it was really needed for FP....sounds like it's no longer needed for this boat at least).

Can you please clarify: on the FPM they are basically treating everyone - from the most experienced, certified rescue diver down to a no-experience, freshly-certified PADI OW newbie...they all have the same 29 meter depth restriction?

And of top of that, all dives are time-limited, around 50 minutes?

Hmmm.

Hi nwflyboy. Firstly, apologies that you didn't receive our normal quality of service with your enquiries, if you could drop me your details privately then I can take a look and follow up on this. It's certainly not the quality that we strive for.

Regarding the diving limits. Firstly, to be clear, we don't limit our dive times to 50 minutes. Due to the nature of the pass dives (which form a good part of our Tuamotu itineraries) we brief incoming current dives as being 50 minutes and outgoing current dives as being 60 minutes. The ratio of incoming to outgoing currents means that we brief the majority of dives as being 60 minutes. Incoming dives usually wind up being 45 - 50 minutes and outgoing dives 55 - 60. The shorter dives are not limited as such but once you are out of the pass, well, you are out of the pass. Non-pass diving will always be 60 minutes.

Regarding the depths, the regulations aboard French Polynesia Master vary slightly from our other vessels due to a combination of the challenging nature of the diving, very specific governmental rules, and local regulations; as well as our vessel insurance. Open Water and Advanced Open Water divers (or equivalent) are limited to a maximum of 29 metres. This is irrespective of whether they carry a Deep Diver certification. Rescue Divers and above are limited to a 40 metre maximum. Please note, however, that all divers within a group must be Rescue Diver or above in order to go to this depth. Also, we adhere to a strict maximum 1.4 partial pressure and so nitrox divers will be limited to 33.7 metres or must arrange for a weaker blend of EANx in order to stay within limits. As such, deeper dives must be requested and arranged in advance of the dive itself. There are regular checks by the authorities that these limits are being maintained so our guides need to be very strict with them. Divers are asked to sign a divers agreement when boarding the vessel and that can be seen here

Hi nwflyboy. Firstly, apologies that you didn't receive our normal quality of service with your enquiries, if you could drop me your details privately then I can take a look and follow up on this. It's certainly not the quality that we strive for.

Regarding the diving limits. Firstly, to be clear, we don't limit our dive times to 50 minutes. Due to the nature of the pass dives (which form a good part of our Tuamotu itineraries) we brief incoming current dives as being 50 minutes and outgoing current dives as being 60 minutes. The ratio of incoming to outgoing currents means that we brief the majority of dives as being 60 minutes. Incoming dives usually wind up being 45 - 50 minutes and outgoing dives 55 - 60. The shorter dives are not limited as such but once you are out of the pass, well, you are out of the pass. Non-pass diving will always be 60 minutes.

Regarding the depths, the regulations aboard French Polynesia Master vary slightly from our other vessels due to a combination of the challenging nature of the diving, very specific governmental rules, and local regulations; as well as our vessel insurance. Open Water and Advanced Open Water divers (or equivalent) are limited to a maximum of 29 metres. This is irrespective of whether they carry a Deep Diver certification. Rescue Divers and above are limited to a 40 metre maximum. Please note, however, that all divers within a group must be Rescue Diver or above in order to go to this depth. Also, we adhere to a strict maximum 1.4 partial pressure and so nitrox divers will be limited to 33.7 metres or must arrange for a weaker blend of EANx in order to stay within limits. As such, deeper dives must be requested and arranged in advance of the dive itself. There are regular checks by the authorities that these limits are being maintained so our guides need to be very strict with them. Divers are asked to sign a divers agreement when boarding the vessel and that can be seen here

WWDAS - are you able to clarify the depth limits? I'm booked on the French Polynesia Master in January and am Rescue certified but the trip information I have just received says I am limited to 29m?

I've emailed you several times too and never received a response. My question is - Does your depth limitation apply to CMAS certified divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom