Anyone had a chance to try out the new Aeris Accel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought of changing the silicon straps to spring straps. Can anyone made the strap change share some experience?

I switched to springs. I have a pair of Aeris Velocity 3X. They came with rubber straps and when I bought springs for them I had an extra set of connectors which I put onto the Accel. Now I can change them from one set of fins to the other in about 15 seconds.

I find the springs easier to get on and off. I'm old and not flexible so I need all the help I can get. I can hook my finger through the big loop of the springs easier than finding and holding the toggle/tab on the silicon straps. I bring the silicon straps along in my save-a-dive kit.

I switched to springs. I have a pair of Aeris Velocity 3X. They came with rubber straps and when I bought springs for them I had an extra set of connectors which I put onto the Accel. Now I can change them from one set of fins to the other in about 15 seconds.

I find the springs easier to get on and off. I'm old and not flexible so I need all the help I can get. I can hook my finger through the big loop of the springs easier than finding and holding the toggle/tab on the silicon straps. I bring the silicon straps along in my save-a-dive kit.

I find the springs easier as well. But now I got the hang of it, I am just weighing the trade-off. While spring will add some more additional weight (albeit nominal), but I guess I will try it out and see how it goes.

Anyone know if Leisure Pro is still doing the call-in discount?

I find the springs easier as well. But now I got the hang of it, I am just weighing the trade-off. While spring will add some more additional weight (albeit nominal), but I guess I will try it out and see how it goes.

The bungee straps are a nice compromise, they don't add a great deal of weight and are still very easy to don/doff.

Last edited:
Tks folks! I will definitely give the bungee straps a try when I get a chance. Sounds like a winner to me.

Planning on ordering myself another pair for back-up actually when LP has the sale again.

Since I don't do and not planning on doing tech diving, these fins are perfect for me. Also, I travel around the region to dive, the light weight is just a god send.

Anyone know if Leisure Pro is still doing the call-in discount?

Give them a call and ask...worse case is they say no.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

I put on some seawing Nova bungee straps work a treat, fit straight on.

What size strap did you order, since we both have the same size fin. :)

Give them a call and ask...worse case is they say no.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

What size strap did you order, since we both have the same size fin. :)

I had some Nova straps lying around, the small were a fraction tight, I settled on mediums. I wear 5mm boots with them.

Im almost 100% sure based on our similar foot size XS will be fine. They are not without their limitations, true of any small fin, but for their intended usage i.e travel I think they are great. I was shocked at how little they weigh. Please post back as I'm interested in your thoughts. I think you'll like them. Enjoy your trip.

So no actual diving yet but I am certainly willing to share my fitting experience so far in the hopes it will benefit others looking at the XS size.

With my size 6 unisex 3mm warmwater wetsuit boots, I have to adjust the straps to the very last hole (as the second last hole feels too sloppy), but my toes are jammed into the very end of the foot pocket and I am a bit worried as I experienced some pins and needles sensation shortly after I donned the fins while sitting in my living room.

With my size 8 unisex 5mm coldwater wetsuit boots, I have the straps adjusted to the second last hole, and it fits the foot pocket quite nicely. To make up the extra space that is normally occupied by the drysuit sock material, I have inserted an insole with a heel lift. I have plenty of toe room and I am considering stuffing some material in the toebox to ensure my foot doesn't slide around.

I am planning to bring both pairs of booties with me on the trip and will let you know more once I get some actual mileage using the Accels :D

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 01:26 AM ----------

Just got back from a liveaboard trip. First time using my accel in the water. It worked like a champ. The lightweight and the shorter length translated to easier mobility on the dive boat and dinghy. I liked it a lot better than the Atomic split-fin and it kicked with more power. Good maneuverability and it felt a bit stiff under the water. No problem power through the mild currents with relative ease. My fins got scratched up a lot though - war scars I guess. Given the price, quality, and performance, I highly recommend it for warm/tropic water diving. I am size 9 and my accel is a size S. I have pretty wide feet but the pocket is wide enough to accommodate. Thought of changing the silicon straps to spring straps. Can anyone made the strap change share some experience?

FYI, I tried using the XS Scuba spring straps that were on my Atomic split fins and they are definitely not compatible with the posts on the Accel fins!

Back
Top Bottom