Anyone had negative experience with Neosport wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
For the past two years I've been diving Henderson Neosport 7mm wetsuits. The first one developed serious fabric deterioration within 20-25 dives and I sent it back to Henderson. Turns out it was a wetsuit they hadn't manufactured in 7 years. However, I bought it from an authorized dealer and they offered to replace it free.

I really liked the neoprene on the replacement wetsuit (one of their XPAN models). It was easy to put on despite being a 7mm with no ankle or wrist zippers. It kept me very warm initially. And in contrast to the previous Neosport, the fabric stayed intact. Then I started getting cold in it and discovered that the neoprene was separating at the seams and eventually the crotch and butt sections completely rotted away (no comments please). There was nothing but fabric protecting my family jewels from the cold water. I didn't notice it at first because the fabric looked fine, but when I held it up to the light, I could see right through the darned wetsuit.

Wondering if other users of the Neosport line have experienced similar issues?

I have a 5/3 hooded vest and 3/2 full suit ( 2xl xspan). I've only had it for 2 months now and I've gotten a couple dozen dives out of it. Went down to 95' in Lake Travis last night with a bottom temp of 62f and I was fine. I don't have any long term experiences to report. It does fit me better then the suit I had before.

I paid about $175 for both pieces and if I can get a year or two out of it that should hold me over until my first dry suit.

How long did the second suit last until that happened?

My wife has the I believe has the 5mm or 7mm, anyhow she likes it as its easy to don and doff, have not seen any wear issues yet and she has maybe 30 dives on it and we dive cold water a good deal.
Glad to hear that they stood behind the product, but sorry for the jewels....:confused:

Maybe somewhat similar. My wife and I got 7mm X-spans when we were first certified. They are 3 years old now and only 15 dives (yeah we should dive more often locally but it is what it is) and on mine, the neoprene below the zipper on the lower back has tears as does each armpit - the neoprene itself - not the nylon lining on each side of the neoprene. My wife's suit (women's version obviously) has the same tearing in the lower back - no armpit holes though. It's definitely not a fit issue. It seems like the neoprene itself just a little weak.

Personally, I'll be looking at other brands when i replace it (the Aqualung Aquaflex looks really nice - though costly).

Last edited:
Dr. Bill,

I thought you gave up on Neosports years ago. I have a 7mm FJ/Jacket and a full 4/3 for warm water. I now dive a drysuit here in Michigan so the 7mm hangs in the closet. Overall, for what they cost me, the wetsuits have served me well, but I'm not a professional diver like you. I hate to say it, but they probably just aren't meant for the demands that you require.

boat

I had one and took it for a 3 day trip of diving in 100-130 feet. When i returned the rubber was compressed the suit was terribly wrinkled due to compression of the rubber... Terrible suit and terrible rubber. didn't last 20 dives. Think there were seam issues immediately too. Sent it back and was refunded my money.. Never again...

Dr. Bill,

I thought you gave up on Neosports years ago. I have a 7mm FJ/Jacket and a full 4/3 for warm water. I now dive a drysuit here in Michigan so the 7mm hangs in the closet. Overall, for what they cost me, the wetsuits have served me well, but I'm not a professional diver like you. I hate to say it, but they probably just aren't meant for the demands that you require.

boat

Indeed I gave up on the first Neosport but thought the second one was serving me well until I realized how bad the neoprene was. The suit was so easy to put on for a 7mm, but I guess that's also why the Neoprene failed.

The only other suit I've had that failed so quickly was a Seaquest. It had blue fabric which started falling apart within 20-30 dives... literally shredding. Most of my other wetsuits do pretty well, lasting at least two seasons of often heavy diving (in the past 300 dives per year). I still dive a Tilos 3/2mm I bought nearly 10 years ago (although only during summer and early fall).

Nowadays, the way companies source materials from whoever the lowest bidder is on any given day, we'll probably never be able to count on consistent quality from anyone again. I know I'm getting off topic but I think this is the sad truth.

Nowadays, the way companies source materials from whoever the lowest bidder is on any given day, we'll probably never be able to count on consistent quality from anyone again. I know I'm getting off topic but I think this is the sad truth.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Even Tilos, which I've held in high esteem, in the past, is not 100% satisfactory. My new 7/5mm Tilos is "de-threading" along several seams and on one of the kneepads after only 20-25 dives. Other than that it has been good so far.

Back
Top Bottom