• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone have experience shooting florescent?

Discussion in 'Tips and Techniques' started by M DeM, Jul 22, 2019.

1. M DeM

M DeM Barracuda

I've read some "how-to's" on it, and I know what's needed (yellow barrier filter and blue filter)

Since I can't afford the real deal, I'm going to try some guy's DIY get up. (here's the link if anyone's interested: DIY Underwater Fluorescence Filters)

I was just curious if anyone has had a bad/decent/good time doing this, and specifically is there any issues with focus, the way there is when you shoot infrared.

Thanks!

2. GJC

GJC Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The plastic filters scratch easily and are fragile if you try to cut them yourself. I broke one cutting it with a fine saw. So do everything you can to protect them from scratches and bumps.

I use a UV light, so don't have experience with blue filters.

I didn't find the yellow filter helpful at night using UV light. When shooting at night, I'm mostly interested in the florescent colors. Yellow filters will correct background color with ambient or white background light.

I haven't noticed focus issues.

M DeM likes this.
  3. bvanant

bvanant Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives:
    It is easy to get filters for the camera end. Getting high throughput excitation filters though is much more difficult. The dark blue acrylic will not let you get much in the red side of the fluorescence spectrum but is good for greens.
    Bill

M DeM likes this.
  4. M DeM

M DeM Barracuda

I was wondering about that. Especially since it has to be a fairly dark blue...

5. M DeM

M DeM Barracuda

fortunately I've got a place right by me that cuts acrylic for cheap!