Anyone have experience shooting florescent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a full setup from Firedivegear and have used it a few times. It's hard to photograph for sure. I need some more dives to get the technique down. The filters really suck the light from the strobes.
Any changes or difficulties with focus?

NightSea is the premier source for information and accessories. The guy that runs it pretty much invented the subject many years ago...

The article linked above from them on UV vs Blue light really is the point: what you want is to use the color that most excites the fluorescence, so you get the maximum effect...and that is blue light, not "black" (UV) light. You then need the yellow filter to block the blue...but the fluorescence still comes through.
I tried a DIY filter set up. That was a mistake.

I haven't used DIY filters, but I have used a blue light with yellow ikelite filters and I've also use a standard UV light. I greatly prefer using blue+yellow filter vs UV.

@M DeM, check Ikelite for filters. They aren't particularly expensive. I've got one ikelite mask filter, one knockoff mask filter, and a knockoff filter for a gopro. The trick is that you need the correct yellow to match the wavelength of your blue light. Yes, you could just strap a mask filter onto the front of your camera if you wanted to. Might be worth cutting it up with a hacksaw or dremel tool first if you're going to do that.

Most fluorescent colors fluoresce a lot more with blue (440-485nm) than with UV (380-440nm).

Good reading on the subject: Fascinating Fluoro Photography

Blue vs UV: Why NIGHTSEA uses Blue Light for Underwater Fluorescence - NIGHTSEA

You might have just got ahold of some crappy acrylic and/or it wasn't quite the right color. The brand name filters are around $50 and the brand name blue lights are under $100. I think I got the knockoff filters on amazon for closer to $25.
I don't know why I'm *just* seeing this post! This is helpful, thank you! What blue light did you use?

Any changes or difficulties with focus?

Focusing was definitely harder. My camera is already slow at focusing and struggled more in the dimmer blue light. Also you have to find the right site. Different things react but you have to find a good site. Also helps to have a spotter. I was working on a picture once and my buddy had to tap me to point out a giant morey I was antagonizing a foot from my head because I didn’t see them (they don’t glow).

I don't know why I'm *just* seeing this post! This is helpful, thank you! What blue light did you use?
I have an Underwater Kinetics SL4 eLED Dive Light. I paid $100 on sale at my LDS a couple years ago. Google shows there's now an "mk2" version. No idea what the difference is.

With a blue light, you'll also need to attach a yellow piece of plastic to your mask and to your camera if you're recording video or photo. I have both a "genuine" ikelite mask filter (about $50) and a generic (about $10) which work exactly the same. I also have a filter that fits on the front of my gopro. It's just like a red/purple gopro filter except that it's yellow instead. I think I paid $10 for a cheap, but you can get nicer "flip" filters for a bit more money that will flip up and out of the way. I think mine takes "C" sized batteries. I use disposable alkaline and they last FAR longer than a dive trip. I've only used it on one trip to Cozumel and one trip to Roatan. All in you can have a reasonably good flouro setup (including filters, batteries, everything you need) for around $150. The color is the same as nightsea, nightsea might be brighter, but the UK light is plenty bright. There was never a moment that I wished I had a more powerful light.

Given the low price (compared to most scuba gear) I think it's a fun option that's worth playing with sometime. It doesn't take any special skills to use or anything like that.

It works really well. You'll surely stick out in your dive group as most folks don't bother with flouro lights so everyone will see you as the guy with a bright blue flashlight. Don't forget to also carry a regular dive light in case you need to signal your boat or something.

Also, you don't need to seek out a special dive site. Any site in the ocean (with clear water) at night will probably do. There's a surprising number of fluorescent animals/plants underwater.

I think I might try it on a daytime dive and see if it's interesting. If not, I can just turn the blue light off and remove the filter from my mask in two seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom