Anyone interested in a Big Sur trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since everyone seemed to enjoy the M&G boat trip I am looking at the possibility of doing a 3 dive charter to Big Sur sometime next year. Talking with one boat and they only do the Big Sur trips from June to October due to weather and daylight issues.

Since they aren't scheduling 2010 charters yet I can't get a locked down price but the boat charter for this year was $2200. For the charters they put on it was $180/diver. I figure it'll probably go up some.

So my questions are:
1) Would you be interested?
2) How much would you be willing to pay?
3) When do you think we should charter it?

I know it is a long way out to think but the fact is that the charter schedule fills up fast.

As a note, I wouldn't be asking for any commitments until closer to the charter date.

What type of diving conditions can one expect in Big Sur?
Is this considered advanced dive?

No more advanced than a typical boat dive in Monterey; it depends on the sites chosen and the conditions.

The Big Sur trips tend to have slightly better viz and more varied topography (think diving in Carmel v. Monterey), but again it really varies. My last Sur boat had very low viz, but we got REALLY close and got a great show from some feeding humpbacks (from the boat, not on the dive :))

What type of diving conditions can one expect in Big Sur?
Is this considered advanced dive?

The short answer is that yes, this should be considered advanced diving. There are two factors which make this kind of trip unsuitable for beginners:
(a) Currents are frequently a major factor there.
(b) In the unlikely event of a medical emergency, help is a long way away.

It can be awesome diving in Big Sur--lots of fish, lots of hydrocoral, dazzling topography. If the weather is nice, it's about the best diving I know on the west coast. But if the weather is not so nice, there's not much place for the boat to run hide.

(b) In the unlikely event of a medical emergency, help is a long way away.

Good point! What's the nearest source of land-based help? I've heard of boats pulling up to Whaler's Cove at Lobos with an ambulance waiting at the ramp.

Yes, Whaler's Cove is the rescue point. The Vision does a Big Sur trip every year, FWIW.

Another thing to consider, if you're at all susceptible to sea-sickness, you'd better start loading up on the medication the day before, and carry enough for the whole trip.

I'll go. Let me know the details.

Yes I'd go. As for the time frame perhaps some of the more experienced Big Sur divers can chime in. I like the idea of September as it falls around my birthday. :wink:

As for cost, did Phil give you any idea what he would charge for the trip? I think 180 per diver sounds high,

No more advanced than a typical boat dive in Monterey; it depends on the sites chosen and the conditions.

respectfully disagree....
Conditions on these trips *may* be quite advanced, or may be quite calm; all depends on the weather/site/etc. I've been out on dead calm days, days with punishing wind/swell, in still water, and in pretty strong currents. It all depends.

The Big Sur trips tend to have slightly better viz and more varied topography (think diving in Carmel v. Monterey), but again it really varies. My last Sur boat had very low viz, but we got REALLY close and got a great show from some feeding humpbacks (from the boat, not on the dive :))

IIRC, you guys were diving off of Yankee Pt., which is about 15 miles north of Pt. Sur, where Phil usually tries go South of...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom