Anyone interested in a "Tekvasion"???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm more interested in a SB trip I can't do by myself, Spree4All was a good example. I can go dive in Grand Cayman myself, and have done so many times

It sounds like a great idea.

I am based on Grand Cayman and can state that this island would be a perfect location for such an event. We have a deep wall just minutes away from the shoreline and the centre I work for - Divetech is fully kitted out with the gasses and gear required to make this happen.

I like the ideas that people have of combining the tek stuff with non tek stuff in order to to make the event open to all and if it can have something for beginner tek divers as well as those more experienced then that would be awesome. It could even be an opportunity for those that have had an interest in going down the tek route to get started on their training.

I'm looking forard to hearing more about this!

While I love Grand Cayman, there's already a couple of events there each year that cater to tech diving. I'd like to suggest someplace different.

How about Caye Caulker, BZ? There's cave diving, deep wall diving, the blue hole, and Belize Diving Services is set up to handle groups.

Croatia (Krnica near Pula on the Istrian peninsula) would be a good option

While I love Grand Cayman, there's already a couple of events there each year that cater to tech diving..

As a tech diver living on Grand Cayman I'd just like to address this point. To my knowledge there is currently only one formal tech event held here each year and that's Innerspace. It is hosted by Divetech who I work for and is only for rebreather divers.

Beyond Divetech there are a couple of other opps here that can cater to tech divers but I have never heard of any events as such that they run.

In complete honesty, I have never heard of that event. Nat is certainly still operating and seems to be busy but if this event still takes place then it will be news to me.

You know his operation and the size he can handle, he was trying to keep it relatively low-key. The last time I talked to him about it was in 2014, when I saw him last Winter it was more about the challenges that happened in 2015 (the boat being sunk, Art, etc).

Interesting, we both use the same docks so I'll ask him about it next time I see him

A few notes.

If we are going to make this a "tekvasion" then I think a set of doubles would be the minimum required for the dives, ideally a set of doubles and 1 deco bottle.

I would limit the destinations to the US (Hawaii included), Caribbean, and South America to help keep costs down and travel logistics simpler.

I would love to do something in Asia (Palau, Truk, Thailand), but given the ~1 time frame and my other trips already planned, I really wouldn't be able to swing it financially.

If I had a #1 choice it would be Key Largo---tech wrecks, reefs, costs, clear water, tech gear logistics--all in a nice little package. From the Keys you can also plan day trips up to Pompano or Key West to dive the Vandy. it also allows for flexibility in terms of duration, you could make the trip 4,5,7,10 days and not blow a huge amount of money on airfare.

I'd be interested in a Tekvasion.

My limited experience indicates that open water trips by Scubaboard fill up fast and are rather large. Tek trips not so much (Spree4all). This might create a situation where the Tekvasion turns into a regular invasion. I'd rather see it be only Tec certifications with Trimix (ie not advanced nitrox diving 32% with 100%).

Maybe Grand Cayman? The nice thing about a using a land based operation is that if you only get 12 people, it is not as much of a problem as it is on a liveaboard.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom