Anyone interested in a "Tekvasion"???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested in a Tekvasion.

My limited experience indicates that open water trips by Scubaboard fill up fast and are rather large. Tek trips not so much (Spree4all). This might create a situation where the Tekvasion turns into a regular invasion. I'd rather see it be only Tec certifications with Trimix (ie not advanced nitrox diving 32% with 100%).

Maybe Grand Cayman? The nice thing about a using a land based operation is that if you only get 12 people, it is not as much of a problem as it is on a liveaboard.

I guess I won't be seeing you again

Dr Craig :)

Awwww!

OK, then how about opening the window for Tec divers first, then for open water after a week or two? :wink:

Awwww!

OK, then how about opening the window for Tec divers first, then for open water after a week or two? :wink:

That's a catch 22. If you are going to have a trimix requirement then you would need to be doing Trimix dives--which OW people can't do.

In think having a doubles/rebreather deco requirement will be enough of a barrier. Tons of trips get hyped about, but then fall short when it comes time to actually book.

I've been contacted by one shop and others may follow. For those who have not been on an Invasion or Surge, the magic is in matching similar divers together on the boats. The more diverse the group the better in my mind. Tek and Rec divers will obviously be on different boats, but then we get to get together and talk about all our adventures and learn from each other in the evening. The bigger we are, the more likely a dive manufacturer or two will want to come along and bring fun stuff to try out and the cheaper we can get the price. We could even offer classes before the Tekvasion so that peeps can progress in their knowledge and then go dive right after.

So...I'm a rec diver and had a great time on the 2015 Spree4All. There were only 10 divers on that trip, there could have been many more. Good for the divers, not so good for the Spree, shall she rest in peace. Only Pete and Elena, Ivan and Vanessa, and John and Maureen did tec dives. My son, Jeff and I, the other Craig, and Jackie, did rec dives. Of course these dives were all on Keys wrecks that were within recreational limits. Our dives were all less than 130 ft and averaged about 45 minutes, generally limited by deco. I agree with CptTightPants21, there is a fine balance regarding the description of the activity and the ability to fill the available spaces. I would be less likely to book a land adventure, I could otherwise book by myself, than a unique liveaboard adventure that is a more limited opportunity, like the Spree4All wreck trek. To each their own. If the dive is available within rec limits, I'm very happy to do 2 dives per window and can definitely hold my own. I look forward to hearing more from Pete, whether this is an opportunity for me or not. The rec/tec combo offers rec divers more advanced dives and personal responsibility. Of course, I realize, these dive may be disappointing to tec divers.

I guess all Rec-Tec divers or people with little experience will be interested, but like it was mention, keeping it at 150' will be wise, and the spots have to be with low currents, SAC rates will be a big card in the game to keep all teams as close to the plan as possible in the dive.

Tec- Diving with a instabuddy will be kind of interesting for the ones that don't have a buddy.

all in all sounds appealing, but complicated.

Was there a keep it at 150 consensus or was it just a thought? I'm just asking. Frankly some tech divers would find 150' a little... Recreational? I'll be honest I'm not much of an ocean tech diver, although I did get my tech2 ticket in pompano with raging currents. Anyway, being ignorant of a lot of options, aren't there some locations with sites with multiple depths? I mean, other than walls?

I've done a few DIY tech trips to the Keys but I'd consider doing an organized 'Tekvasion' trip there, always interesting meeting like-minded divers.

Pete, I love this idea. Message coming.

What time of the year were we thinking? If next year's Invasion/Surge is June/July, We should be looking at something at least in Oct-Jan. Maybe we could do it in March when the caves are blown out....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom