Anyone Interested in Lionfish hunting up North after the regularly scheduled dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive seen them slip off alot with that paralyzer tip as well. Also I have seen a lot of misses with that style of sling but it could have just been the shooters :p

Amazing how easy it is to miss a small one from 3" away!

Or at least that's what I've heard :D :D :D

I'm still trying to decide what to buy. The more I read the more confused I get.

Would a smallish speargun be a better purchase? A cheap lion fish spear would be fine but spending the money on something I could use for other fish also would be OK too.

Last edited:
I think the sling is the tool to use. The barbed paralyzer tip is very good at holding the fish. For practice get to a shallow area on the sand and shoot at small chunks of dead coral in the sandy bottom. You will learn to figure out the refracted angle to hit the spot or target. Also you will start to learn to breath while shooting. All too many times have I seen shooters hold their breath while aiming. Wrong thing to do, as usual, underwater we never hold our breath for any function we are performing.
Lion fish pretty much are like shooting ducks in a barrel except the difference is the new angle you cant see, just imagine. They are very secure in their ability to hurt you if you touch them so they dont move much. Only if they have been shot at before will they move usually.
Also hunters should carry surgical scissors to cut the fins off the lion fish. Find out which ones(fins) will sting. Also the reason for practice is so the coral that is usually behind the fish wont get hit. Another thing if one is sitting in a barrel sponge, please move the fish out of it. Just be careful not to harm the coral. Take your time. It's better to get one in a dive and save the coral than to get three and kill coral also.
I so look forward to hunting with you guys. The barbeque part is the best. kevin

That's what I have is the 6ft travel sling with the barbed paralyzer tip. I bought the JBL model. I like how it is constructed.

I think I would like to try different models before I went out and bought one, can they be rented while in Cozumel.

HEY bud I dont think there will be an issue with you checking out my sling. I am pretty sure there are no places to rent them. I dont come cheap. hehehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom