Anyone know about NYPD diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I have read is that the Police Divers will sometimes need to wear a hazardous material protective dry suit. I am imagining all sorts of awful things they might encounter in the lower Hudson.
I've never seen anything too terrifying... just some coke cans in Floyd Bennet Field, brooklyn and maybe a wrapper or two in the east river

Dry suit, positive pressure aga mask standard gear. Recovery dives involve body parts, bodies of children and adults,weapons used in a crime. All done in practically zero visibility, contaminated water filled with various toxins.

Of all the people I've been involved with recovering, children haunt me the most along with the reaction of the family on scene. There will also be many humorous stories to tell. Hopefully more so than tragic, but in this line of work you will depend on your fellow officers for support and spirit to lift you out of the deepest depressions.

lots of things stick with you after a few decades of public safety. fortunately the good outweighs the bad.

it is not an easy life and it puts lots of stress and pressures on those of us in it. Some can't handle it and that's okay. Don't expect glamour and glory. As my almost 40 years winds down, i'm still waiting for the glamour and glory!

Also get in top physical shape, they go off that also. my friend just got on and from what I hear you better start running triathlons

Ain't enough money for me to dive the Hudson or East River! Nope, Notta enough!

I would love to dive them!!!! 300 years of history in those waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom