Anyone live near Grey Rock, around Deep Cove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just asking because today, I left a bunch of crap in the little parking lot. A circular crab trap with all the netting gone, just the frame left. A two piece plastic oar, 2 feet length of lead? pipe (not sure if it was lead or not, it was heavy but too encrusted to know for sure), one piece of broken beer bottle, two sections of copper pipe, fibre glass flag pole and one small steel chain.

Picked that stuff up today (oct 6th 2007), over two dives but since it started to rain heavily. Took off with my buddy in a hurry and left that stuff all behind. Only realised when we were on the second narrow heading back to Vancouver already. I kind of feel bad just leaving a bunch of junk on the side of the road. I mean, what is the point of cleaning up the ocean only to mess up the land around it not a stone throw away.

If anyone lives around the area and can pick it up for me and dispose of it. Tell me and I will buy you a dinner, anything you want.

PS. Found an engine block too, there was a long bit of rope (hemp) attached, I think it was one of those DIY anchor. However without a lift bag and a buddy that was trained in recovery, wasn't going to tackle that one by myself. Anyone interested in doing this? Going to need a few lift bags though, I don't have any myself.

did you get over to the Grey Rock island? what depth was it there, where did you drop down, and what else did you see besides junk?

There is a lot to see at the location, loads of different types of nudibranchs. Lings, surf perch, rockfish, all the types of sea cucumbers, flounders and just basically anything that you can think of. I saw my first skate at the south end of the islet there. There is everything and anything there, due to the different depths and bottom substrate at the locale. I mean, if you want to swim out, on the west side of the islet, there are wall dives, you want a sandy bottom go north, you want rocky go west and south. The bottom drops off once you go out on to the outside of the islet in the Indian arm. I have been to a depth of beyond 30m, yet if you stick to the cove between the shore and the islet, it doesn't get much deeper than aproximately 5m even at hightide. Due to the fact that it is so shallow and narrow, when tidal exchange occurs there can be very fast and strong currents at the location. Did a drift dive on the first dive as the tide was coming in. Unless you are a very strong swimmer, I would suggest checking out the tables and diving on the slack. I have had buddies who showed up and cancel due to the fact they couldn't get past the current.

I think there is just so much junk on the bottom at the location because of all the private and one public dock plus heavy amount of boat traffic. If you dive around under the docks, there are loads of beer bottles. This doesn't just happen at Grey rocks though, it is the same at Woodland. I love this site, relatively short swim out, loads to see, different types of dive availabilities and a great pub around the corner.

The amount of marine life and experiences I have had at Grey rock is just amazing. Have had encounters with seals there too. Night dives are fun too, there is just so much at the site.

Oh yeah and here is a break down of my two dives.

FIRST
Swam out to the south end of the islet, where the private dock is, dropped down, followed the cotour hugging the islet, circled the islet counterclockwise. Deepest was 18.3 m, average depth was around 14-15. Didn't go deeper since there was not a lot of light due to overcast skys.

SECOND
Dove between the shore and the islet, north west corner of the islet. The tide had came in and the water was deeper. Max depth was 5m.

There is some videos on youtube that my buddy posted, there is a thread on another forum that they are embedded on. That site is in simplified chinese but you can just click on the video if you want to have a look. There are hooded nudis swimming and the guy with the collection bag is me.

„‚„‚“ˮץз»Øí£¨YouTube Vedio£© ´ó¼ÒÒ»ÆðENJOYһϰɣ¡ - ÓÎӾDZˮ Diving/Swimming - VanPlay BBS - Powered by Discuz!

When I am able, I will contact you for a tour. I live nearby, on the North Shore.

Just PM me, I am available most saturdays. Weekdays unless they are night dives are no good since I am back to studying. Even then I would prefer if it were a friday night.

If, you live on the North shore, I am so suprised that you haven't been to Grey rock. There are loads of other sites too, Woodland, Cates park and Deep cove. If you have access to a boat, there are so many sites up in Indian arm.

I have never been to grey,woodland. where in deep cove right in the bay at the govt wharf in downtown deepcove(by the old kayak shop) I dive cates all the time but have not had the chance to get out diving lately. I have always had an interest in grey and now I know someone who has been there a few times I feel it is time to get over there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom