• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone not got a flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That's been my experience as a patient too. My doctors have endorsed cranberry juice/supplements for the prevention of UTIs, ginger for mild nausea, melatonin for insomnia, and topical capsaicin for muscle soreness, because those things are supported by evidence. They've also been open-minded whenever I've wanted to try something that probably won't hurt, but they do try to talk me out of doing things that aren't good for me. It's almost like they took an oath or something not to harm people...

2. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

Wife and I got our flu shots today. Too bad they're still dragging their feet on the covid shot.

DandyDon likes this.
  3. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

Plenty here. I never was good at guessing ages, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the unmasked faces I encounter when I go out are around my age.

El Paso is bringing in more refrigerated trucks to serve as mobile morgues. Hale county where I go to shop has now passed the 9% Covid rate, but I was wrong calling them the state leader. I misscanned the list. There is one rural county a hundred miles the other direction from me that's over 10%.

I really suspect that asymptomatic carriers spread a lot of this.

Dark humor is still humor.
    I don't think that they're dragging on that at all, but I am not afraid that they're rushing it too much either as they are under a lot of scrutinies. Moving vaccines at minus 97 degrees will be a big challenge.

4. Degenerate

Degenerate DIR Practitioner

You're not wrong :)

AfterDark and tridacna like this.
  5. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

I said that because according to the NY times (yes, I know - questionable source at best but it's all I've got) they completed stage3 testing several months ago and then... what have they been doing? Nobody knows anything other than that the vaccine still can't be acquired. Hopefully mass production so millions of Americans can get the vaccine before January.

AfterDark likes this.
  6. Gene

Gene Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'm not usually a flu shot kind of guy, (as in I've never had one). But I did deal with a virus last year that lead me to an IPE incident, which I mentioned in another thread. So, I might change my mind this year when I see my doc next month for my annual physical. Otherwise, I'd say I'm a fairly healthy, somewhat active 58 year-old. (By the way Don, we learned the move your-arms-after-shots-so-they-won't-be-sore trick when we were kids traveling overseas. So by the time I was in line for the eight shots, etc., in Air Force basic, I was already a vaccine veteran.
    I've requested to be a part of a covid vaccine test here in Gainesville, FL, through my doctor's office. I'm told that might start soon. I hope so.

DandyDon likes this.
  7. formernuke

formernuke ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    As I stated above I will not get the COVID vaccine.

It takes years to develop a truly safe vaccine not months. Plus people are getting it more than once which means it will not work. A pharmacy company announcing they have done it is just a game to increase profits from the panic, makes me sick.

As for the flu, they got them back in so I'm getting mine today.

AfterDark likes this.
  8. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    If I don't get a covid-19 vac I'll never get within 6 feet of my Grandsons and youngest daughter. I'm all in! The flu shot is just a guessing game, sometimes they even get it 50%right! OH Boy! :0

9. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    "By definition, alternative medicine has either not been proved to work, or been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine."

- Tim Minchin

10. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yeah, they're dragging their feet until it meets proper efficacy and safety standards. Outrageous!