• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone not got a flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Covid and pandemic discussions' started by DandyDon, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Scubagolf

Scubagolf ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yep. I got the high dose Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent in mid September at Target.

chillyinCanada, RyanT and DandyDon like this.
  2. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    There is a limited supply of almost any medication, particularly those which are brand new on the market. Question is whether it's those who can't pay who doesn't get it, or if it's those who need it less.

3. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving ScubaBoard Supporter

The Pfizer vaccine (most likely to be approved first) requires storage within -70 degree Celsius freezers until shortly before administration, and then requires a second booster in a month. This essentially removes a lot of options for administration sites. Most of the others also require 2 shots, and it’s likely that patients who receive the 1st shot won’t remember exactly which shot they got so somebody had to keep track of it for them. My bet is that this immunization will not grant long lasting immunity and that it’ll be a yearly thing, so that in the long term the J and J single administration vaccine that doesn’t require super cold storage will be the “winner”.

RyanT likes this.
  4. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving ScubaBoard Supporter

Landau and RyanT like this.
  5. formernuke

formernuke ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I had a doctor tell me that I'm immune to shingles now (got it when I was 30) so likely I won't need that one.

My wait time for the flu shot was about 10 minutes and no my arm doesn't hurt.

6. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I don't know. I have a son-in-law that had a bad case of shingles before 50, and I have a preteen cousin who has more than one. I don't understand why he won't get the new vaccine, but then he was a Covid skeptic until he ended up in the hospital with it. The cousin was told that maybe she could have the vaccine at age 18, but then she never even had chickenpox so I am suspicious. Anyway, it's possible to have shingles more than once. I think the vaccine is good for five years or so, but from what I've heard about the attacks - I think I'll repeat as needed.
    Early Treatment Often the Best Response to Recurrent Shingles

:thumb:

chillyinCanada likes this.
  7. RyanT

RyanT ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Multidrug resistant bacteria is actually a bit of a different issue than HPV infections and vaccinations. The end "goal" of HPV is not to cause cancer (I put goal in quotes because a virus obviously can't think). The "goal" of a virus is replication and viruses eventually need new hosts to do this effectively. Cancer is an unfortunate side effect of the infection from particular strains of the virus. If the strains that cause cancer are selected against (from the vaccine), that does not necessitate that other HPV strains will begin to cause cancer.

8. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Of course it can't. It isn't even alive. Duh.

Which - as you of course know even better than I do - means that the Ebola virus is an evolutionary failure. You can't replicate efficiently if you kill your host before they can infect a bunch of other hosts. Fail.

Landau and RyanT like this.
  9. tarponchik

tarponchik Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I won't argue with what virus's "goal" is. What I am saying is that HPV vaccine has limited specificity, therefore, virus types that can still be passed from human to human will be selected by the vaccine pressure. Some of these types will be harmless, but some will cause cancer, albeit cancer is not virus's "goal", as you've noticed. This does not happen with the abovementioned tetanus because tetanus is not passed person to person; or, in the world of antibiotics, with borreliosis, which can still be cured with good old ampicillin.

10. DBPacific

DBPacific ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    You do realize that the point of vaccinating is to prevent you from getting something? So if the 'target group' will likely have already had it as you yourself admit, then the best target group for vaccination is before they reach that age of risk, and since school aged children are already generally congregated and easy to reach, 11-12 year olds are the actual target for the vaccine and the antibodies will remain in their body during the years of actual likely risk.

Also I'm sorry but no one's gut is the equal of immunological models, sampling, and sequencing to actually test the virus strain types for change.