• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone not got a flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Covid and pandemic discussions' started by DandyDon, Nov 6, 2020.

1. mac64

mac64 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Yeah sure go back and answer the reply I made to your comment on my post.

2. mac64

I was saying that in Ireland only the over 65 and those with compromised immune systems or vulnerable gets flu vaccine. It’s not a big deal here. And the reason is the economic impact of the flu is not the same as the US. Do companies not insist that their employees be vaccinated against the flu.

Mrs. B likes this.
  3. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    OK, that gives some context. Are you saying then that there aren't enough flu deaths in the US to justify flu shots for everyone, or just that there wouldn't be if sick people stayed home?

I could see an argument that society should emphasize quarantine over vaccination. I don't know if I agree, but it's an idea worth discussing. And it's a fair point that the integrity of such a discussion might be compromised by economic interests--both the fact that some stand to profit from vaccines, as well as the fact that many stand to lose from having workers stay home. But it's also worth pointing out that such a shift in the US would have to come from the top down. Individual workers can't just decide to stay home anytime they have the sniffles if they're not protected from being fired or at least losing pay during that time. Individual companies can't always afford to be more generous with sick time than their competitors if they want to stay in business. Individuals who are vulnerable to the flu need protection from others. I am 100% on board with pushing for better protections so people can stay home when they're sick, whether or not that would work as well as vaccination. But until that happens, individuals have to decide whether to get vaccinated based on the world we live in, not the one we should. And I will continue to encourage them to get the vaccine.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  4. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

That was almost in the same post with this garbage...
    I say again - This!
    That idea is really a futile attempt to reduce the risks of being around people who won't mask and vaccinate as requested. It really doesn't help much.

tridacna likes this.
  5. DBPacific

DBPacific ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    If you'll stay on your rocking chair on your porch then I'll stay on my rocking chair on my porch and we can yell about fish we saw to each other

Storker, chillyinCanada and DandyDon like this.
  6. mac64

I’m not telling anyone in another country what they should or shouldn’t do, if the people of the US wish to be vaccinated against the flu that’s their decision.

Midwesterndvr and Mrs. B like this.
  7. mac64

That’s your opinion, you still don’t get to tell other people what to do. And you know well I was talking about people choosing to be vaccinated or not. Very nasty to edit out some bits of what people are saying and using it to your advantage.

8. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

What? I excerpted from this. Yes, I know you were vaccination choices. I think that those who are medically capable of being vaccinated have a moral obligation to those who cannot to get the jab. The fact that the vaccine is about 50% effective at best makes it all more important.

RyanT likes this.
  9. mac64

I have never heard anyone in Ireland advise someone else to get a flu vaccine or not to get a flu vaccine, and I personally would never advise one way or the other, and I’m certainly not going to give vaccine advice on an Internet forum. I have heard of people been advised by their doctor to get the flu vaccine and that’s entirely up to them. Like I’ve said flu is not a big issue in Ireland. You are entitled to your opinion and so is everyone else.

10. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I think you may have misunderstood my slightly flippant, but at the bottom rather serious question.

As we see from the replies in this thread, vaccine recommendations vary between countries. Since I'm not a trained medical professional, I follow the advice from our national CDC, which is that those who are in a risk group and/or are at high risk for getting infected should have the shot, but those who aren't shouldn't.

The lockdown we had this spring showed very well that in the absence of a vaccine, proper social distancing is a very efficient tool for stopping an epidemic. Over here a lot of us, including me, are - again, dammit! - working from home and socially distancing as much as possible. And because of that I'm more confident than usually that I'll neither get the flu nor - in case I get it - infect others. Add the fact that at least here, most people who aren't working from home can take out a sick day or two if they're feeling a bit under the weather without losing income, and the risk of spreading the flu becomes even smaller.