• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone not got a flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 6, 2020.

1. John Bantin

John Bantin Dive Shop

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    How do you catch a cold or the flu? From toilet seats? (No, That's STD) You catch colds and flu from people who already have it.

2. Sifossifoco

Sifossifoco Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    For the sake of philosophical discussion, this is an egg or chicken issue: how did the first person infected get the flu, if there were no other people that already had it?

3. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    According to the CDC site: "The name “influenza” originated in 15th century Italy, from an epidemic attributed to “influence of the stars." Earlier, however, "Hippocrates (5th century BC) first reported that an influenza-like illness spread from Northern Greece to the islands south and elsewhere. "

4. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Interesting choice since it has been hypothesized that human influenza developed when man domesticated animals.

5. Sifossifoco

Sifossifoco Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    And how did the first animal got infected? For the sake of clarity, i was just making an half joking comment on a post that said you only get influenza from another infected person.... I think there are so many experts on this thread that it is about time to squeeze the knowledge out of their phenomenally educated and smart minds... :)

6. uncfnp

Either God or evolution...or both. :wink:

7. RemcoDutch

RemcoDutch Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Very interesting. Heard somewhere once that people claim that major astrological happenings often occurred at the start of pandemics like the black plague.

8. tbriggsnh

tbriggsnh Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Miyaru wrote: "once you have survived such an infection, your immune system has created anti-bodies. A vaccine has no added value, since the immune system won't learn anything new."

The antibodies generated by receiving a Moderna/Pfizer/AstraZeneca vaccine doesn't prevent you getting infected by the Covid virus. It only prevents the onset of the disease.

Moderna divers won't get sick from Covid but, at the same time, the vaccine won't prevent them from becoming asymptomatic Covid spreaders should they take a seat at the bar next to an unmasked spreader and picks up his/her infection.

Does anyone know if it's the same for a person who possesses the naturally occurring antibodies?

9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Who is Miyaru? I searched your quote to see where you got it, but google only found that post.

I don't think they know how long natural antibodies or vaccines either one will last.

10. uncfnp

A little clarification. Since it was not part of the study we don’t yet know if a vaccinated individual can transmit the virus.

Esprise Me likes this.