• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone not got a flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 6, 2020.

1. tbriggsnh

tbriggsnh Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499

2. tbriggsnh

tbriggsnh Angel Fish

Thanks!! The following highlighted text makes a little more sense to me now.
    From https://time.com/5912491/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-effectiveness/

"...the study did not necessarily compare how many total infections there were among those getting the vaccine and those receiving a placebo. For now, the 94.5% efficacy refers to the fact that among those who tested positive for COVID-19, the vaccine protected that percentage of people from getting disease v preventing them from getting infected with the virus in the first place.

Hoge says that people with asymptomatic disease may be captured as people are followed for longer periods of time, and they are tested for antibodies to the virus, which would indicate if they had been infected with SARS-CoV-2, even if they never showed symptoms."

3. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've never had one. Haven't had so much as a sniffle in 5+ years. I don't usually come in contact with tons of people being retired. I used to get a bad cold about once every 8 months when I was teaching. But I never considered it to be the flu. I'm not actually sure exactly what the flu feels like, and am 66. I will get the Covid vaccine as soon as it is available. This is not the flu.
    My wife also doesn't get flu shots. She has had bad allergic reactions from them years ago. Some people are in that situation. Those that preach the flu shot should be taken by all are probably the same folks that feel a certain amount of sleep is the right amount for everyone. The OP title infers that is odd and maybe bad if anyone doesn't get the shot. Even our former family Dr. said that in our case, whether we get the shot or not is no big deal.

bertschb likes this.
  4. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    We can only guess at how many people have natural resistance but spread it asymptomatically.

The flu vaccine is about 50% effective so that means that a higher percentage of the population needs to get it to stop waves of infection to which your wife has no other protection. If everyone around her got the jab, and everyone around them got the jab, and everyone around them got it, then your wife would enjoy increased protection. That doesn't happen because too many don't bother increasing your wife's risk. I hope for the best.

5. Miyaru

Miyaru Tec Instructor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    And so mankind evolved into a species that depended on vaccines to live a normal life.
    Asymptomatic spreaders became the new criminals and the pharmaceutical industry was rejoicing.

Mother Nature wiped another tear away.

6. tbriggsnh

tbriggsnh Angel Fish

True. The tear wiping began here.

From 1916 onward, a polio epidemic appeared each summer in at least one part of the country, with the most serious occurring in the 1940s and 1950s. At its peak in the 1940s and 1950s, polio would paralyze or kill over half a million people worldwide every year. In 1952, the polio epidemic reached a peak in the U.S.: almost 58,000 reported cases and more than 3,000 deaths. Rich kids as well as poor were left paralyzed. In 1955, the U.S. began widespread vaccinations. By 1979, the virus had been completely eliminated across the country. Now polio is on the verge of being eliminated from the world.

DBPacific and Esprise Me like this.
  7. tbriggsnh

tbriggsnh Angel Fish

8. DBPacific

DBPacific ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Mother Nature wants only 1 thing: for individuals to survive and pass on their genes. Decreasing mortality rate via vaccines would make her quite happy in that regard

9. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    And so mankind evolved into a species that depended on technology to live a normal life.

The same thing which is said here about vaccines could be said about domesticated livestock, grain farming, heated homes, eyesight correction (allowing the near-sighted eggheads to contribute intellectually even if they were half-blind and hardly able to function in society without), antibiotics, surgery with anaesthesia, aseptic procedures, industrial fertilizers etc., etc., etc.

Our (Homo sapiens's) ability to overcome our physical shortcomings with technology has proved to be our greatest evolutionary advantage.

RyanT and Esprise Me like this.
  10. Midwesterndvr

Midwesterndvr Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Haven’t had he flu in years, never had a flu shot and don’t plan on getting one.

bertschb and RemcoDutch like this.