• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone not got a flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 6, 2020.

1. lexvil

lexvil ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Maybe not, it just looks that way :wink:

2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    90% sounds less than the 95% others claim, but still encouraging and besides - these early results may see new numbers in time. One headline only claimed 70% effectiveness, but all of the news stories seem to clarify that to some extent with this one explaining the best I think...
    That's really surprising. I was farm-raised with a popular "get a bigger hammer" attitude being popular so starting with a half dose sounds like some sort of a cop-out, but good news. It's also encouraging that this one can be shipped and stored at normal refrigerator temperatures instead of the -97°C required by one of the others.

The biggest plus on this one is that it also stops asymptomatic transmission, unlike the others. We may see it being used overseas before it's approved in the US as it's not approved by our FDA. I do hope that politics does not block it so as to reward US-grown vaccines.

And you started quite an argument there. We old folks are a drain on the national community so keeping around beyond prime breeding age comes with a price. I'm grateful that society has a more favorable view of us.

If you look at the history of polio excerpted recently here, it explains that toddlers were often normally exposed to fecally contaminated water giving them a chance to develop early immunities, but as US towns made progress in better hygiene then polio was acquired from such waters later in life and the recipients were more severely affected. I'm glad that we moved away from the normal approach, then improved on that.

I see this reflected in the history of my own rural county history. The first settlement in the middle of the county failed because it didn't have a lake, while two other towns survived because they did. Those lakes collected tainted runoff water that was filthy by current standards but were better than dying of thirst. As our earliest settlers learned to drill wells and install windmills, they started giving children cleaner water but thirsty cowboys might have to refill their canteens from whatever old buffalo wallers they encountered, then were exposed to fecally tainted water carrying the poliovirus. I can see my town lake from my house today and would hate to have to drink from it, but it had to be done then.

Survival and procreation of the fittest would support your approach even if you've developed enough resistance to not get very ill when you acquire the virus even tho you may well still spread it wherever you go. It would be helpful if you'd get off of your high horse, get the jab, and help protect others who you would normally infect.

Darnold9999 likes this.
  3. Darnold9999

Darnold9999 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    For those that want to exercise their right to not get a vaccine against covid feel free not to travel. Other countries can impose whatever restrictions they want on incoming travelers. Your "rights" in one country are meaningless in another - and the US is just as, or more, restrictive in that respect, to non citizens, as many other countries. I fully expect that as soon as the vaccine is readily available most countries of the world will make it a mandatory requirement for visitors within weeks. I would also predict that this mandatory requirement will disappear in a year or two once the pandemic is over.

tridacna, RyanT and Esprise Me like this.
  4. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    From Darwin's POV: yes, it does. From humanity's POV: no.

lexvil likes this.
  5. Joneill

Joneill ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

No need to skip anything, but those holidays will be a little different this year!

6. DandyDon

7. Midwesterndvr

Midwesterndvr Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Survival and procreation of the fittest would support your approach even if you've developed enough resistance to not get very ill when you acquire the virus even tho you may well still spread it wherever you go. It would be helpful if you'd get off of your high horse, get the jab, and help protect others who you would normally infect.[/QUOTE]

Don, you asked a question I answered it. I’m not sure how you think that puts me on a “high horse”?

8. johndiver999

johndiver999 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I got mine today. I might be sore later, but it was the tiniest prick.. literally felt it less than a mosquito bite.

9. DandyDon

Sorry that I was rude, but it would help if everyone got the jab.

You really oughta try doing some pushups then and there.

10. Joneill

Joneill ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I got mine several weeks ago - drive through set-up where you stuck your arm out the car window and they stuck you back:). I barely noticed the injection jab and no sore arm or any side effects - never have had any issues with any shots so can’t relate to the concerns.