• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anyone not got a flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 6, 2020.

1. DBPacific

DBPacific ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    @DandyDon I didn't start anything, that's all on Sifossifoco. If survival of the fittest were the rule of the universe there are plenty of children and young folks who also wouldn't exist or have survived this long, including me and most of my family. There are many disabled, elderly, unfit, and chronically ill people that the world would be all the poorer without and luckily modern science has allowed many of them to live longer, healthier lives.

@Sifossifoco and if you're such an expert as well, I'm sure you understand that mutations occur randomly and only the ones that do not harm the individual's chances of reproduction, are effectively inert, or boost the chances of fitness are passed on. Fitness is a lottery and nature is a drunk hamster spinning in the wheel.

One of my prof's had a fun story about a mutation he found while studying nematodes. He called it Jabba the Hut because the mutation would lead the nematode to gain mass until it couldn't move until the point it reproduced and then died from bursting itself apart. Not a very fit mutation but it kept being passed on since bursting occurred after reproduction. That's an extreme example but a fun one to gross out a class and drive home that mutations aren't like the mutants in X-Men. No superpowers, just a drunk hamster in a wheel

RyanT and Esprise Me like this.
  2. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Allow me to steal that

DBPacific and RyanT like this.
  3. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Indeed. There's a (possibly apocryphal) quote attributed to the anthropologist Margaret Mead about how the first sign of civilization was not tools, but a broken and healed femur--evidence that a human society had cared for an individual who could not fend for himself. Whether she actually said that or not, I tend to agree with the sentiment. There are many unique or at least unusual human attributes, but the ability and willingness to help others instead of leaving them to die is our most redeeming.

RyanT likes this.
  4. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Nitpickers have later pointed out that even other species care for their wounded.

Both the nitpickers' point and the (probably apocryphal) Mead quote are pretty good, though.

RyanT and Esprise Me like this.
  5. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving

Midwesterndvr and Storker like this.
  6. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  7. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Very, very preliminary but it seems there was an arm of the AstraZeneca study that did include post vaccination covid tests of asymptomatic participants that showed a reduction in infection leading one to hope that vaccination does reduce transmission.

8. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

Got the all-clear from the vaccine study people, and got my flu shot today. Got my husband to get his too. We both went to the CVS inside our local Target, and the guy who gave the shot was REALLY good. I barely felt it.

As predicted, COVID precautions have reduced but not eliminated the spread of flu this year. It seems we're also getting more flu shots this year, which is great. My area is basically out of ICU beds, so I really hope those numbers stay down.

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report | CDC

COVID-19 Is Surging but Flu Cases Are Down: Here's Why

Central and Southern California have 0 percent I.C.U. capacity, in a state already low on hospital beds.

DandyDon likes this.
  9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

I've been seeing that on the news. So much risk in a tight urban environment but so many protesting the controls. Keep up all protections.