Anyone read Shadow Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
If any of you did, Robert Kurson will be doing a talk and signing at Porter Square Books tonight in Cambridge. It would be great to meet some fellow NELD folk.

I've read all the major books out there regarding related topics and I have to say that far and away, Shadow Divers is easily the best diving book I've ever read. Although the story itself is just asking to written about anyway, Robert Kurson had me turning pages furiously. It's meticulously researched and very well-written, and I'd recommend all of you pick up a copy and digest it before the movie comes out via Fox Pictures.

If anyone's going, let me know.

Can't go tonight - but thanks for posting this. I would have been there in a shot if I didn't already have a post-work thing. That was an amazing book - do you know when the flick's coming out?

Any info on the time. I haven't read this one yet but have been wanting to pick it up. You've got me checking my calendar for this evening and I'm clear after 6 PM. Thanks You for posting this info.
P

Cool -- too bad I don't have my copy with me...

Definitely a great book -- a page turner that I finished reading over parts of a single weekend.

Funny coincidence -- I went out to dinner on Monday night with some folks from a company I am interviewing with for a new job. Somehow we got to talking about diving and one of the guys had just finished reading Shadow Divers -- nice to find some common ground to start off a rather grueling interview over dinner....

Link to event:
http://www.portersquarebooks.com/NA...C82D21C39DBC1.t1?s=storeevents&eventId=282451

I emailed Robert Kurson while I was in the midst of the book, and he told me that several weeks prior, they had just sold the rights to Fox Pictures. That was probably August...At the rate major motion pictures get written, casted, produced, made and released, I think we're looking at 2007 at the earliest.

He also informed me that both John Chatterton and Richie Kohler have been retained by Fox as technical consultants for the movie, so hopefully that will keep it as realistic and true to the story as possible. Remember - Hollywood can completely screw this up, but with a story like this one there's not much embellishing they really need to do...let's hope for the best.

The signing/Q&A starts at 7:00 at Porter Square Books in Cambridge. Porter Square Books is located at 25 White Street. Call them 617-491-2220 for directions and such.

PeaceDog:
I emailed Robert Kurson while I was in the midst of the book, and he told me that several weeks prior, they had just sold the rights to Fox Pictures. That was probably August...At the rate major motion pictures get written, casted, produced, made and released, I think we're looking at 2007 at the earliest.

He also informed me that both John Chatterton and Richie Kohler have been retained by Fox as technical consultants for the movie, so hopefully that will keep it as realistic and true to the story as possible. Remember - Hollywood can completely screw this up, but with a story like this one there's not much embellishing they really need to do...let's hope for the best.

The signing/Q&A starts at 7:00 at Porter Square Books in Cambridge. Porter Square Books is located at 25 White Street. Call them 617-491-2220 for directions and such.

I understand that Chatterton and Kohler will be on 60 Minutes tonight. Someone's publicist is working the entertainment press.

DivePartner1:
I understand that Chatterton and Kohler will be on 60 Minutes tonight. Someone's publicist is working the entertainment press.

One thing I will be asking him about when I get there is what he thinks the relationship is between Kohler and Chatterton nowadays. I'm particularly interested in Kurson's take on the rediculous USS Murphy controversy.

reefseal:
Another must read, related book is the "last dive" by Bernie Chowdry.

I reccommend both books to any student I teach.

Bernie's book obviously goes into much more hour-by-hour detail of the Rouse's fateful day, but I was quite interested in Kurson's replay of the event and I appreciated his totally objective perspective. Both are essential reading; Kurson's is going to make a fantastic movie.

Hope to see some of you there tonight.

Two big thumbs up for both those books and another good read is the book about the fatalities on the Doria back in the 1990's. Has the phrase "china fever" in it. I can't remember the author, but I'm sure you can find the title on Amazon.com. A page turner for sure.

LobstaMan

Back
Top Bottom