Anyone Ready for A sit Astride 10 knot Crotch Rocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Adler

New
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Manta Pic2.jpg
Manta Pic1.jpg

Well, After dicking around for a few years I am just about ready to finalize my DPV Crotch Rocket, and sell it in either Kit or completed form. Dubbed the HS SSLPV HIGH SPEED SUB SURFACE LITORAL PROPULSION VEHICLE) "Manta", I have been playing with this form factor for ten years, recent adoption of new Lithium ION batteries, Low Cost Thrusters, and new PLA 3D Printing tech has gotten the price points down to something affordable, and buildable in limited quantities. Specs: 10-12 Knots using either twin 86Lb or 110LB Thrusters, run-time 1-3 hours using 100AH-500AH Lithium ION Batteries, Simplified On-Off Thumb Actuators for each thruster, Sub Sea connectors (analog all the way!) from the battery to the winglets and thrusters. Unlike the Cayuga Sea Bob, this is a working mans tool/toy, it is robust and electroniucs free, dis-assemblies with a socket wrench, and costs less than $1800 for a kit ( you provide batteries and thrusters) or roughly $5500 in finished form. Unlike the old K10 Hydrospeeder that this is loosely based on, the (tentatively named) "Manta" weighs 90lbs assembled, has integrated SCUBA or Re-Breather, Collapses into a drag along Scooter, breaks down into two 45lb cases, and has multiple configurations based on winglet type, loading and Battery capacity. The envisioned DIY kit has the chassis and fuselage as well as Sub Sea connectors, you provide batteries and thrusters, winglets available as needed. This rig allows the professional diver to load up to 100lbs of gear and still neutralize by using up to three integrated bladders combined with optional positive buoyancy winglets. Magnetometers, photo gear, thermo, Sonar capabilities in a compact portable high speed long duration footprint. Look like fun? I welcome your comments, (North Korean or Radical Jihadists need not apply lol). I will likely be posting on Kickstarter once my Pat pending comes through......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom