Anyone remember the The Scuba RoundTable on GEnie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlonghitano

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In 1985 there was a online service called GEnie. They had a very active SCUBA board called The Scuba RoundTable. I have fond memories of GEnie and The CompuServe Scuba community in the early 80’s

Any old time online geeks remember them?

Yes I do remember it but not lots of details.

I was on CompuServe for about 15 years and used it as an Internet E-mail gateway until individual access became affordable. I played with GEnie for about a year before giving up on it. I barely remember the Scuba discussion groups CompuServe.

It was basically a lot of threads organzied in a rather simplistic way (compared with today's forums). For its day, it was very nice.

I remember GEnie! When I try to tell people about the days when I could only get online on GEnie after work hours and on weekends they all look at me like I am from the stone ages...

My moniker was Undertow, enjoyed GEnie while it lasted. The RT was heavily weighted to a few "star" members. with egos the size of Montana. Spoke with Scuba Mom awhile back, she no longer dives, said only one she knew from that era still dove. I decided to stop recently, so many false positives on MRIs. Had me falsely "diagnosed" with everything from myelo proliferative syndrome, to MS. There are actual problems with scuba, as are with astronauts...physiological changes that can be temporary or permanent, although most divers will deny this.

So deep diving probably should be avoided, 60' max. Did some recent deep diving in Ko Lanta, Thailand...great, beautiful dives. Interestingly my last dive became a deco dive, but was normal after ascending fairly quickly. Later MRIs had bright spots all over a brain scan, confusing to my neurologist, and me, since no actual symptoms.

Good luck and enjoy...

Back
Top Bottom