Anyone remember these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A vintage ferry (or so I'd always heard), that broke loose from it's mooring and washed up on the beach at the north end of town, and sat there for years. It was a favorite landmark of mine, till (IIRC) they hauled it down south and beached it down there. For some weird reason, I felt a sense of nostalgic loss then it was hauled off.
IMG-4943.jpg

A vintage ferry (or so I'd always heard), that broke loose from it's mooring and washed up on the beach at the north end of town, and sat there for years. It was a favorite landmark of mine, till (IIRC) they hauled it down south and beached it down there. For some weird reason, I felt a sense of nostalgic loss then it was hauled off.
View attachment 585750
During Gilbert, maybe?

If memory serves it was hit by a cruise boat and had a gash in one side. Sat anchored out front for a year or so. Roxanne blew it ashore in 1995.it finally was moved to san fran beach not sure what happened next

If memory serves it was hit by a cruise boat and had a gash in one side. Sat anchored out front for a year or so. Roxanne blew it ashore in 1995.it finally was moved to san fran beach not sure what happened next
Yeah, I remember it with the gash in the side sitting there near where the road from the airport intersects with Melgar. The airport shuttles used to go there first and turn left; seeing it was one of the first "we are really here" moments on each trip to the island. After several years there I saw it on dive trips to the south end, pulled in bow first in some trees. Then it was gone.

During Gilbert, maybe?
I honestly can't recall if it was Gilbert, or Roxanne. I was there for Roxanne, but scooted back to Cancun and rode it out with my brother and his family. I remember the boat as "always" being there, so it could've been from Gilbert (before my time), or gotten there during Roxanne, within a year of me first moving to the isla. The rest of Augustus's version coincides with what I'd heard, that it was hit by another ship, taken out of service, sat at anchor (or tied to a mooring buoy, IIRC), till blown ashore by a hurricane, then years later, deposited on SF beach.

no it was roxanne been here for gilbert and all the storms that followed. Caretaker had enough sense to get off the boat before Rox came over the island Cat 3 storm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom