Anyone Still Fabricate Minimalist Backplates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i am currently diving a highland millworks stainless plate. it works fine with DSS/DR wings, and the H explorer 40#. but the "plate recess" for lack of a better word in my new H evolve 40# is a little too small for the plate. i'd like to buy a new stainless plate, but both the scubapro and H plates that fit the evolve are:

a) too expensive
b) too complicated.

its steel - stainless steel yes - but still steel. i mean ... its not silver .. its just steel >_<! does anyone here know of a company that still fabricates minimalist backplates? you know: six pounds of SS304/SS316 alloy, with two holes and eight slots cut for $75 - $100? i don't mind getting it deburred/refinished myself.

<--- MINIMALIST || NOT SO MINIMALIST --->​

backup_reg.jpg
scubaproxtekbackplate50.gif

It doesn't get much more minimalist that ZKY's Freedom Plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hog stainless backplate

I would assume the OP means for a doubles setup? Then the Freedom Plate won't work as it is a dedicated singles rig.

Otherwise the HOG or Dive Rite plates are the most cost effective. I use an aluminum Dive Rite plate for doubles and a Freedom Plate for single tank diving.

The Freedom Plates are not available except direct from ZKY aka Eric. Unfortunately I grabbed the last plate from him, as a gift, a few days ago. Not sure when his next run is going to be either. You can PM him on this board, or just call him, and see what he has to say.

ScubaBoard - View Profile: ZKY

Like the look of Erik's Freedom Plate, but for a minimalist plate (for single tanks) currently in production and available:
Oxyecheq SS travel plate. I enjoy mine.
OxyCheq Travel Backplate discounts on sale OxyCheq

For a plate suitable with doubles you might check with The Kracken (a moderater) on SB. I've seen plates he has made - nice.

Last edited:
The OP is clearly referring to an economical conventional SS BP. I have a near blemish-free Halcyon SS BP, which I will sell for $100.00 + shippping...

Fred T plates are nice and heavy too. The offer from Scott L though is what the OP should take. The Halcyon/Scubapro plates are nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom