Anyone use a DSS Steel Plate with Oxycheq wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if the Deep Sea Supply Steel plate (Long) has the correct cam band slot spacing for my oxycheq wing. I love the plate, but don't want to use an STA and was wondering if it will work with my existing Oxycheq 45lb wing.

Thanks for any suggestions

AquaGuy

I haven't done it myself but cant imagine it would not work. Most plates and wings have the slots for tank straps 11" on center just like the bolts for tank bands. It is pretty much an industry norm.

AquaGuy:
I'm trying to figure out if the Deep Sea Supply Steel plate (Long) has the correct cam band slot spacing for my oxycheq wing. I love the plate, but don't want to use an STA and was wondering if it will work with my existing Oxycheq 45lb wing.

Thanks for any suggestions

AquaGuy

Are you diving in San Diego? If so why would need a 45 lbs wing?

Tobin

my dss wing worked on a hamerhead plate...

David P:
I haven't done it myself but cant imagine it would not work. Most plates and wings have the slots for tank straps 11" on center just like the bolts for tank bands. It is pretty much an industry norm.

This is not true. The only "standard" for backplates is at least one pair of bolt holes in the center channel at 11" centers.

There is no standard for cam strap slots. Some plates do not even have cam strap slots. The length, vertical center to center distance, horizontal center to center distance, and position relative to the bolt holes is highly variable from plate manufacturer to plate manufacturer.

There are no plates that I'm aware of that have cam strap slots at 11" centers.

Tobin

Tobin, do you have any insight into if your singles wings will work with a DeepOutdoors BP (using cam-straps thru the plate)? I'm quickly starting to realize that the 55lb wing that came with by DO rig is bigger than I really need for the diving I'm doing, and even more so for the trip we're planning to warm water (AKA not the quarry we're used to).

TravisD:
Tobin, do you have any insight into if your singles wings will work with a DeepOutdoors BP (using cam-straps thru the plate)? I'm quickly starting to realize that the 55lb wing that came with by DO rig is bigger than I really need for the diving I'm doing, and even more so for the trip we're planning to warm water (AKA not the quarry we're used to).

Travis,

Plate compatibility is a complex thing. Lets assume the cam strap slots do share the same spacing. When they line up is the wing at the right place on the 3rd party plate for correct trim? Do the bolt holes in the plate line up with the fastener holes in the wing?

Without having the goods in my hands I simply cannot say whether or not brand XX plate will work with a DSS wing, or whether a DSS plate will work with Brand YY wing.

If you choose to use a STA, then most wings and most plates can be assumed to fit together. Without a STA there are simply too many unknowns.

As an aside, I cannot imagine any application for a 55 lbs singles wing.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin. Understand completely - i had only been thinking about the slot-spacing issue, not the relative position on the plate.

I think the 55lb wing (and oh yeah, it's a bungie wing too...) is intended to be a do-it-all. And yes, I know how false that statement is in reality). Hence, why a more appropriate wing is on my list of things to look into.

If I were to take measurements of the plate, would you be able to tell if we're in the ballpark or not?

--travis

I've used my Oxycheq 45 with the DSS plate and it worked fine.

cool_hardware52:
Are you diving in San Diego? If so why would need a 45 lbs wing?

Tobin
Tobin,

Who are you to determine why someone would need a wing with any particular buoyancy? Everyone has there own reason for purchasing wings to suite them. He asked about a wing working with a backplate, not to be questioned on his wing choice.

And to answer AquaGuy's question... the wing should work with any normal backplate.

Best Regards,

Dwain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom