Anyone use a DSS Steel Plate with Oxycheq wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used my Oxyceq Mach V wing on and 5 different manufactures plates and if it doesn't fit the DSS that means it a DSS problem not a Oxycheq problem. That Means DSS is a NON STANDARD PLATE that will not work with MOST of the other standard products (PERIOD).

I have used my Oxyceq Mach V wing on and 5 different manufactures plates and if it doesn't fit the DSS that means it a DSS problem not a Oxycheq problem. That Means DSS is a NON STANDARD PLATE that will not work with MOST of the other standard products (PERIOD).

What is a standard plate?

Who sets the standard?

Tobin

How is it a DSS problem? Why should it matter to DSS if another companies wing will fit their plate or not?
It would only be an issue with the single wings due to different spacing for the cam bands.
With a single tank adapter or with a doubles wing it shouldn't make any difference.

The hole spacing for all of them is 11" on center.
Besides the spacing of the DSS bands is that way for a very specific reason, which makes them superior.
It's all explained in the brochure which is included with every DSS complete rig.

-Mitch

I've had instances where wings from some manufacturers do not line up with camband slots on plates from other manufacturers (I believe most recently I had an Apeks wing not fit a Halcyon backplate). There is no standard, or industry standard for camband slot placement or length. It is nonsensical to claim that a DSS plate is "non standard" or that other manufacturers' plates are "standard products" because of camband slot placement; it's simply not the case.

Some combinations work, some don't. It's a bit of a crapshoot. About the only thing you can count on with any backplate and wing are the 11" center-spaced holes.

If the bottom bolt doesn't line up, chances are high that the holes on the wing are spaced a tad bit short, and if that's the case chances are that the webbing or fabric has contracted a bit as it dried from the previous dive. Just douse the wing with water and it should stretch back out to fit the bolt holes.

Sorry, posting problem resulted in duplicate post.

Last edited:
I have used an Oxycheq Mach V wing with my DSS SS backplate, btw, and it worked just fine :)

There are some advantages to using the DSS wings and plates together, such as the ability to "strip" the wing from the plate in seconds, which is really nice for packing up a gear bag (plate on bottom; wing on top), and for rinsing (you can slosh/drain the wing without having to "carry" the plate along with it). But I was able to use the Oxycheq wing just fine, albeit without those extra features (which you would not get with the Oxycheq wing mounted straight onto any other plate either).

I don't know that there is necessarily any standard cam band slot spacing though (on any brands), is there?

I have a small sized plate and, I have to say that I'm very glad that DSS goes to the trouble to make different sizes (four, I believe). There are some nice little touches where they are proportionally different, too (not the holes/bands).

I wasn't going to reply at first, since the thread is four years old, but now that it has been reborn (i.e. numerous posters), I thought I would.

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom