Anyone use a Santi Heated Vest with their Fourth Element Undersuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hayabusa

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I very recently aquired a Santi BZ200 heated vest + battery/connector at an extremely decent price. I have not had the opportunity to test this out in the water yet, but I figured I might ask around on the boards here if anyone who has one was previously using Arctics + Xerotherm + J2 or similiar - how did you re-approach your layering when introducing the heated vest? Do you have it turned on at all times or do you turn it on for during the ascent profile of a dive?

I'll reply, but I'm somewhat of a n00b at using heated undergarments.

Regarding layering, my electric undergarment is a Light Monkey heater base. It's essentially an undershirt, so I use it as a bottom layer and then put my fluffy layer over top.

Regarding when to run the heat, that decision depends on a few factors.

One is your battery. If it's huge, then you've got the option to stay warm all day long. If it's not giganto-normous, then you'll need to ration the power.

The other -- and probably far more important -- factor is what kind of dive you're doing. If you're doing a recreational dive and staying far away from no-deco limits, then you can probably run the heat as long as your battery allows. If you're pressing no-deco limits or doing deco diving, though, you probably want to save the heat for the ascent profile. If you're toasty-warm on the bottom, you'll ongas more efficiently, and that could mean decompression problems. If you're cool on the bottom and warm on the way up, you'll offgas more efficiently.

That being said, I think there's no good reason to freeze yourself on the bottom. In my case, I usually do 1-2 hour runtime deco dives in 50-F water, and I have a fairly wimpy battery. If I get cold on the bottom, I'll turn switch the power on for a short while, drive away the chill, and then switch off the power. Then, on deco, I'll heat myself up until I'm comfortable. Using heat only intermittently at depth saves battery, keeps me from feeling miserable, and doesn't appreciably run up my risk of DCS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom