Anyone use a Yoke Sherwood SR2 with HP tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Does anyone use a yoke style Sherwood SR-2 with a HP steel tank?

I am currently using one with aluminum tanks but want to switch to steel

I read that both the Yoke and DIN versions of the SR-2 are tested up to 300 bar (4351 psi), but it is only recommended to use 232 (3,364.88 psi psi) with a yoke setup?

Is it safe or not to use the Yoke-SR-2 with HP (300 bar) (4351 psi) tanks?

Not really getting a straight answer from Sherwood on this.

Thanks

Hi,

I read that both the Yoke and DIN versions of the SR-2 are tested up to 300 bar (4351 psi), but it is only recommended to use 232 (3,364.88 psi psi) with a yoke setup?

Thanks
There are very very few 300 bar scuba tanks in the United States. Most high pressure scuba tanks are only 230 bar.
If you are asking about using it with a 300bar DIN valve, then no, 300 Bar DIN is not compatible with a yoke regulator.

Hi,

Thanks
All you will need to do is get the conversion from Sherwood and replace the yoke with the 300 din fitting on the SR-2 and you are golden. You will also need to buy a Din to Yoke fitting for those times you may be using a standard style tank/valve.

That said, if you are talking about the 200 Bar tanks that have the shallow DIN valve that also has the insert for a yoke first stage, then, if the the valve insert is used, you can use your regulator without the conversion.

Most of the steel cylinders today will ship with a Pro Valve (DIN w/ Insert) which is a 230 Bar.
Hi,

Thanks
"Is it safe or not to use the Yoke-SR-2 with HP (300 bar) (4351 psi) tanks?"

As @Tracy mentioned, these tanks have 300 BAR valves which do not accept the yoke inserts. So regardless of safe or not, you have a connection issue with a yoke regulator.

It is very rare to see 300 BAR working pressure cylinders in the US. Not saying I have not seen one or two 237 BAR cylinders at 300...but that is pushing it even in cave country where 250 Bar fills are common.

For the majority of all steel cylinders that have a valve that will accept a yoke regulator, you should have zero issues as they are sold with 230 Bar Pro Valves. Get you a steel cylinder and enjoy your regulator.

as stated, they can take the pressure but the 300 b tank valves can’t be used with the yoke, the DIN to put on an SR2 is getting hard to find, I have one on my SR2 but have heard they aren’t available.

@scubasharks,

It would probably be easier to let us know what steel cylinder you are wanting to buy. You ask about a 300 Bar cylinder, but those definetly are not common in the US. Are you looking at an XS Scuba Steel? A used Worthington, PST, Blue Steel...?

Are you wanting to use the regulator specifically on a 300 Bar steel cylinder (I would be curious on what brand/model), or are you looking at the common steel cylinders you can purchase here in the US.

It may be possible, but would not be prudent.

It's kind of a trick question, since any US scuba tank made for 3500#, and over, is required to use a DIN valve. As a recreational diver you probably won't run into a 3500' service pressure tank anyway, unless you buy one used.

I've used my older, 2010, Sherwood yoke reg on a Faber MP tank overfilled to a bit over 3600#, but if it happened regularly, I'd switch to DIN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom