Anyone using Big Blue VL8300P video lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Tide is looking really good this year. Of course they always do. Likely another championship.

It gets old doesn't it. Behind the scenes some of us have a bet of how long it will take him to come along when BigBlue lights are mentioned and dazzle us with his math and then end up telling us how great the lights are from UWLD. Honestly, to say the 30,000 lumen is really only 5,000 is just absurd.

UWLD comment removed then, doesn't matter for this conversation, was just pointing out.

Likely the 30k lumen is averaging 6k-8k lumen output for that 2 hour duration it is truly on high. If you say that that is absurd, then what lumen value do you think it is putting out, why do you think that, and please prove it
I'll change my number for efficiency because I have had UWLD 60v's in the water with the 30k and it is noticeably brighter for at least the first hour, so I'll give probably an 7k-8k average output for the 2 hours. It was not brighter than the 130v that I dove with though

Last edited:
Likely the 30k lumen is averaging 6k-8k lumen output for that 2 hour duration it is truly on high. If you say that that is absurd, then what lumen value do you think it is putting out, why do you think that, and please prove it I'll change my number for efficiency because I have had UWLD 60v's in the water with the 30k and it is noticeably brighter for at least the first hour, so I'll give probably an 7k-8k average output for the 2 hours. It was not brighter than the 130v that I dove with though

Neither you or I can prove anything really as we don't have the test equipment to do so. We would both be making assumptions. What's really important is actual use in the water. All the proof I need is below from someone who has had actual experience in the water with both.

I had UWLD lights. I even had the 5k lumen light. It is a good light but after diving with some people who had the 30k lumen Big Blue video light I sold it. There was no comparison even after 30 minutes or so. I can't really remember the exact times but I think I did one dive with a buddy who had the 30k BB light and even after an hour the BB blew away the UWLD video light.

Neither you or I can prove anything really as we don't have the test equipment to do so. We would both be making assumptions. What's really important is actual use in the water. All the proof I need is below from someone who has had actual experience in the water with both.

I have had both in the water as well, as well as the 130v. It was not as bright as the 130v after about 10 minutes, but brighter than my 60v. That's a pretty wide range, but the 130v is only 13k lumen, so still nowhere close. Didn't run it on high long enough because of particulate to get it low, but the math doesn't lie.

For light reference, cars high beams are typically 3500-4000 lumen with the super bright ones going up to 6000 lumens. We don't really have anything we experience on a regular basis that is brighter than that

IMG_3957.JPG

Big buoyancy tubes. Are they custom ?

Any dive buddies offer to be a lighting assistant ? I think off camera lighting is an underutilized technique.

no ordered them from eBay, 900gr. of lift for the lights and housing, makes the whole rig just slightly buoyant. And no help with the lights, although I may try and give that a try here in the great lakes, in the ocean on vacation no one wants to waste there dives lighting stuff for you!

Back
Top Bottom