Anyone wear ICE bracelets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why?

cats suck anyway.

Why even go through that effort? Just attach some weights, let me sink, feed the fishes, and become an interesting dive site.

Well what's the point in living if nobody cares when you die

I had a personal experience with a diver buddy who did NOT have emergency contact information on him where, because his family could not be quickly located while he was in the hospital, he slipped into unconsciousness before his family could get to the hospital. He died a few days later, which may have been inevitable, but his family were only a couple hours away and certainly could have at least talked to him before he slipped away.

For lack of a simple emergency contact tag, this man's family did not get to speak to him before he was gone for good.

I always dive with my DAN Tag attached to my gear, up front and in plain sight. But anything similar will do, just make sure it's on YOU, not in your gear bag, in your car, etc. Because the paramedics might not get all that, but they will have YOU.

>*< Fritz

Just got my DAN tag. My plan is to wear it around my neck under my dry suit. It is probably the hospital staff who are going to contact my wife and they are not going to think to look on my gear (assuming it even made the trip with me) for any ID. On the other hand, if it is in their way as they attach the EKG leads, it might cue them to call.

I also remind my dive buddy that I have DANs number and my wife's number programmed in my cell phone - just in case he/she might remember in the event of an actual emergency.

Dan

I think that for all of the goals presented here, a MedicAlert tag is a far superior solution.

They will keep files on you, including living wills, last wishes, etc. and forward as necessary when they get the call. As an added bonus, emergency personnel are specifically trained be be award of MedicAlert tags and how to deal with them.

My grandfather has one of those bracelets for his diabetes, but I thought those were only used for people with medical conditions. Would it cause them to waste time worrying about a condition you might have while they contact MedicAlert? (Like if you don't have a medical condition listed on the tag)

The Medic-Alert isn't a bad solution at all. It's basically a phone number and an index into their database. The medics call Medic-Alert and they give them whetever info you have on file, which can be quite extensive as the previous poster pointed out (living wills, advance directives, etc.).

The important point is to have something that you WEAR with contact numbers, so it's always on your physical body, even while diving.

The guy I was with had a phone with some family contact listings... but the battery was dead by the time they tried to use it at the hospital, with no charger readily available. So don't count on your phone. Also, anything that's in your gear bag, or in your car, etc. might not make it with you.

A military-style dog tag, plastic ID bracelet, DAN Tag, Medic-Alert bracelet... heck, even a laminated business card or the like would do. Just have it on you, so if they're pulling your semi-conscious body out of the water on some other dive boat than the one you came in on, they at least can know or discover 1) who you are, 2) any critical medical conditions, and 3) someone to contact.

>*< Fritz

My grandfather has one of those bracelets for his diabetes, but I thought those were only used for people with medical conditions. Would it cause them to waste time worrying about a condition you might have while they contact MedicAlert? (Like if you don't have a medical condition listed on the tag)
They do not require a medical condition. They're used for all kinds of things. Check them out.

From their FAQ:

What is MedicAlert&#381;®?
MedicAlert&#381;® protects and save lives by providing identification and medical information in emergencies. It is the original nonprofit emergency medical information service, founded by a physician in 1956.

Do I have to have a condition to become a MedicAlert member?
Not necessarily. Many of our members do not have any ÁÌnown medical condition? People with no known medical condition utilize our services solely as an identification service. This is a great feature for children.

How does MedicAlert Work?
Emergency medical personnel have been trained to look for the famous MedicAlert emblem, which provides your personal identification number, primary medical condition(s), and phone number of our 24-Hour Emergency Response Center. MedicAlert transmits contents of the member's computerized medical file, which may include specific medical conditions, medications, allergies, implanted devices, emergency contacts, insurance information and more. MedicAlert knows your well-being affects people who care about you, too. In the event of an emergency, we will notify your family or designated contact.

Why should I join MedicAlert&#381;®?
Every year, over 100 million people visit emergency rooms in the United States. 1 in 10 emergency department visits result in a direct admission to the intensive care unit, critical care unit, or coronary care unit*. MedicAlert will speak for you if you are unconscious or unable to communicate clearly. Our emergency call center is on duty 365 days a year to ensure your health will be safeguarded in any medical emergency. MedicAlert relays all the pertinent medical information that can impact your treatment in any critical situation. We are on duty 24 hours, every day to make sure your needs are met.

What are the different services that MedicAlert provides?
All new Members are automatically enrolled in the MedicAlert Advantage Service. The benefits of the Advantage Service are outlined below.

Services that are available to Advantage Members:

* 24-Hour Emergency Response Service - Supported by on-site Registered Nurses, MedicAlert will relay your vital medical information to emergency personnel.

* Member Services Contact Center Make free, unlimited updates to your file, order a new emblem, or ask a question about MedicAlert products and services. Someone who cares will answer your call, providing you support from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday (Pacific Time). The Member Services Contact Center is closed on Sundays and major holidays. However, our Emergency Response Center operates 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

* Family Notification - MedicAlert calls your family contacts and notifies them of your situation, so you won't be alone in an emergency.

* Medication Dosage Service - MedicAlert stores your medication dosages, which emergency medical personnel often need.

* Online Access and Updating - Make instant changes to your personal record, including change of address, adding/discontinuing medications, and new physician information.

* Information Storage - Store information such as the brand, model, and deactivation instructions for medical devices and implants.

* Privacy - All medical and personal information is stored in a secure personal health record database, and is never distributed to unauthorized personnel or organizations.

It looks like a good idea. It would certainly be overkill for me, all the info I need is on my bracelet, so no need to call anyone.

But if you are on meds, and there are a ton of divers who are, this would be great insurance at a cheap price.

They do not require a medical condition. They're used for all kinds of things. Check them out.

Ok, thanks

After reading this thread I am surprised I did not think of this before. I will be ordering a set of dog tags soon. Thanks to the OP.

Back
Top Bottom