Anyone Wet the Line Before Tying a Bolt Snap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Pardon, still new to all this.

I tied a few bolt snaps to various components, then after I got them wet, the string -- not surprisingly -- expanded somewhat and became loose. Once it dried out, it did tighten back up a bit, but this begged the question: does anyone wet the line before attaching a bolt snap? I tried it once, and am liking the results, but that's as far as my experience goes.

Thanks.

David

I have never worried about it. I melt the final knots with a lighter and have never had an issue yet.

I just put a drop of Superglue on the knot after I tighten it.

I had the worst time trying to use cave line for attaching bolt snaps. I now use thin bungee cord, which works so much better for me.

Depends on the line you use, I use 400lb fishing braid (around 1mm) and that is not deforming in water.

Cave line, and simillar cords are actually pretty bad for the purpose.

I melt the line down to the knot so it cant back out. the little bit it loosens doesn't bother me and seems like a little mobility could be advantageous. but I may try your idea for comparison

Interesting. I haven't had this problem, but I tie the knot really tight and also melt the line down to the knot with a lighter.

I pull them tight with a couple pairs of pliers and melt the string ends into mushrooms that are butted up against the knot so they can't back out. I have a couple that have been tight for like 8 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom