Anyone with their AN/DP certs in the NY,NJ,LI,CT area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NORTHEAST

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys I had recently posted a thread about putting a tec dive team together and let's say it wasent such a hit. Lol. And I don't blame anyone of feeling like I was trying to step on toes. Here's my new question. I was wondering if their were any guys in the area who have had recently earned their early tec certs. And if so maby we can meet up with each other. Maby hit a quarry together. Get to know each other and hopefully dive real wrecks together. I'm also open to diving with experienced tec divers and even rec divers about to get into the tec world. I'm taking "kwinters" advice on slowly meeting guys on dive boats and meeting tec guys at quarry's but I also would think it would be a good thing to grow with others with similar skill levels. And if any of you have dives coming up or are looking for guys to dive with I could probably join you. Some of the wrecks I dive are the stolt Degali off NJ, the Oregon off NJ, the San Diego. I would love to dive the u853 this summer off block island. A couple of others on my list would be the Texas towers, arundo, Coney Island, Tolten, and many more. As for me diving is in my blood. At least the ocean is. I've been on the water with my father since I was big enough to walk. This is my passion in life and there isn't a moment in the day I'm not thinking about it( new sites, old sites, gear configuration, etc) eventually I want to take this all the way but I want to build myself up to it the right way. Thanks guys. Hopefully some of you feel the same way.

Don't feel too badly about the lack of response. The "buddy system" is an emerging skill for most of the Northeast.

Kwinter gave you good advice. He answered you on more than one level. If you want to get the flavor of a particular boat, book an "open boat" trip. If you want to find divers that you may want to dive with, book dives that are run by shops. Everything is on the boat's schedule. Keep trying shops until you feel comfortable with those that show up that day. Then just dive that shop, you will become one of the guys/gals in no time.

Don't hesitate to call various dive shops and ask to book on their trip. You may be surprised at how well you are received. Each shop has its own "flavor", everything from rock-and-roll wreck diving to spearo only. You will eventually rattle into place.

See you on the boats.

:D

Dude I have to say that is a perfect name for our area! lol. Thank you also for your advice. The only thing about booking on a boat is how do I know I will have someone to dive with? I mean as a tec diver do you need a solo dive card. I really don't mind solo diving but I don't want to book a boat. Drive all the way out there to have the capt say sorry buddy you need to dive with someone. That would really suck and let me correct myself. I'm comfortable solo diving at decent depth but with deco obligations new to me and in the begging stages a partner would be nice! Lol. I just booked a dive in Florida for the 27th to dive the guy Harvey. (Deco dive) luckily I'm going to partner up with the support diver. Before they offered me that I wasent to concerned about a buddy. Coming from NJ wrecks with no vis and cold waters Florida clear water 80 degrees at 150' didn't seem to intimidating to me. Lol

If you find a Texas Tower trip, let me know. Been trying to get there for years. It's collapsing into the sand now.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Will do Ken. To be honest it's on my list but I wouldent know where to begin looking. How far offshore is it?

... Drive all the way out there to have the capt say sorry buddy you need to dive with someone. ...
Just book an inshore trip with them and pull it off without incident. From there on in you are good.

The only time you will be called on buddy diving is if you book with a dive shop that requires it. Ask when you book. I'd like to know if you can find a boat that won't let you dive to recreational depths on an "open boat" trip. Deco is on you. Just don't EVER overstay your run time, that WILL cause problems.

Ok well my question is would the boat ever ask you for a solo diving cert? If so I'm screwed. Lol. And I would never not dive my actual dive plan. The rest is for contingencies. I keep myself very disciplined.

Gotcha... Hey low vis regarding kens reply do you know any boats that hit the Texas towers?

Back
Top Bottom